Question Damage estimation

ALPARS

Reputable
Jul 4, 2017
So my GPU sort of exploded with sparks and a little flame for a few seconds. I removed the GPU and my PC boots and runs normally. My question is how can I be sure that any other component wasn't damaged. I am thinking of getting a new GPU but it will be a waste if the motherboard has been damaged. Thank you.

So my GPU sort of exploded with sparks and a little flame for a few seconds. I removed the GPU and my PC boots and runs normally. My question is how can I be sure that any other component wasn't damaged. I am thinking of getting a new GPU but it will be a waste if the motherboard has been damaged. Thank you.
If it's running now with IGPU only, likely and possible damage could be to PCIe it was inserted into. Can't see any other way but to try with another known good and compatible GPU. If you don't see any visible damage to that port it's not likely it will damage new GPU.

By you saying the PC boots fine leads me to believe that only the GPU is gone.

ALPARS

Reputable
Jul 4, 2017
Ok the gone GPU was a GTX 970 4GB the OC edition by GIGABYTE, the PCU an I7-2600, the PSU a CORSAIR CX750M, the motherboard is custom made by LENOVO there is no official model but it is PCI express x16. Sorry if I have misreferred to something I don't know much about computer hardware.