Damage of a ungrounded pc

GavriloJm

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Hi guys,

Tomorrow my pc parts will arrive and I have the following questions concerning grounding:

1. I don't have a grounded outlet in my room and I want to install windows as soon as possible. Will using an ungrounded outlet do any harm on my pc in the short term? (given there are no lighting strikes)

2. How much damage does the static electricity do to my components if it is not grounded in the long term?

I am considering not grounding my pc since it is a bit difficult for me to run a ground wire to the outlets, but I was wondering how bad of an idea this was. Please enlighten me en forgive my ignorance ;)

Thanks in advance

Solution

This is the correct answer, and I really suggest you take it seriously. If you plug the PC into an ungrounded outlet and there's any sort of current leakage in your components, that charge which would normally go to ground will instead build up in your case. Basically your case will turn into a giant capacitor. And when you reach over to turn off the computer, that capacitor will discharge through you possibly electrocuting you.

It's impossible to predict how serious or how quickly this might happen...

notlim981

Distinguished
If anything goes due to ungrounded outlet, the first component to take the hit is the PSU. It's gonna hold any eventual power peak so the other components are not damaged. If such peak is higher than the PSU can take, it's gonna either fry the PSU or damage the PSU and other components, especially MB/CPU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Static electricity discharge can be a system killer. I (and many here on Tom's) have been down that road.

I have zapped phones, high end gaming mice, and even motherboards over the years. In your situation, you could accidentally do something similar. You really need to be careful. Others have suggested protection mechanisms. While that is true, that doesn't preclude you from being the damaging catalyst.

Do you have the option of using an extension cord to provide a grounded connection?

Keep in mind, static discharge can still occur with a properly grounded system, but a properly grounded connection will assist greatly with the other issues the others have mentioned. I would also suggest an UPS be part of your power config as well, as another layer of protection (power outage/surge suppression).

This is the correct answer, and I really suggest you take it seriously. If you plug the PC into an ungrounded outlet and there's any sort of current leakage in your components, that charge which would normally go to ground will instead build up in your case. Basically your case will turn into a giant capacitor. And when you reach over to turn off the computer, that capacitor will discharge through you possibly electrocuting you.

It's impossible to predict how serious or how quickly this might happen because it all depends on what leakage (if any) you have in your system. A short in a USB connector will probably only result in a small shock (like discharging static) after several hours of use. But a short in your PSU could make touching your case like sticking your finger into an open electrical socket.

Ground wires aren't required in all new electrical sockets because regulators thought they were a good idea. They're required because people used to die from trivial electrical faults before they were added.

Solution

GavriloJm

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016

I think I can do that in the beginning, to install windows etc. but it wouldn't be a permanent solution because of the location of the outlet and the pc. Guess I will have to find a way to ground an outlet closer to my pc then. Thanks for your answer.

TRENDING THREADS