Question Damaged chip on motherboard

Ithilion

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hi everyone, while i was in the middle of a build renovation, i've accidentally damaged a small chip on my Asrock x399 Fatality with a screwdriver, see these pics:
View: https://imgur.com/NHQiU1V

View: https://imgur.com/8oitoV1

As a result of that, while the system boots and seems to work properly, an entire RAM channel is dead (channel C, the two leftmost RAM slots).

So my questions are:
  • is that chip actually responsible for that memory channel being dead or it's a completely different issue? (The channel was working properly just minutes before the accident tho).
  • is this something that can be fixed? while the chip is really small i guess that someone fairly skilled could easily re-solder another one, as it doesn't seem i damaged any trace.

Ithilion

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
In the first pic i've circled the damaged chip, and in the second it's the one exactly in the middle. I'll link the actual images which should be higher resolution than the previews:

NHQiU1V.png

8oitoV1.jpg

To be honest it doesn't show very well because my camera isn't picking up much detail at this zoom level, but i can assure it's pretty badly chipped.

It looks like a resistor or capacitor that's damaged.
It's possible this is why the memory channel is dead....but it doesn't have to be the reason.
It could be something else.
As far as repair....if you knew what the component was....the repair isn't that hard for someone who knows how to do that.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
it's very fixable

from what i can see from image you nicked one reistor, the 6 pin voltage regulator and one capacitor.

the bad news is, apart from figuring out the correct values of replacement components, it's a 8 layer PCB so you don't want to take 20buck soldering iron from hardware store to it.

Your best bet would be to take it to your local PC repair shop. You will probably be quoted anywere between 100-200 bucks for the job, which is still less than cost of purchasing even half decent soldering/reflow station+ materials. Another thing to consider is Asrock x399 Fatality runs between for 350-450 bucks new...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ithilion

Ithilion

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
it's very fixable

from what i can see from image you nicked one reistor, the 6 pin voltage regulator and one capacitor.
For the other two you're mentioning, i was worried myself because of the my pic and then actually went to check them, but it was either noise in the image or dust, those ones seem intact at inspection. It should be only that lone black chip (resistor?)

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
For the other two you're mentioning, i was worried myself because of the my pic and then actually went to check them, but it was either noise in the image or dust, those ones seem intact at inspection. It should be only that lone black chip (resistor?)

aah okay in that case getting a replacement should be easy enough, the catch is the resistor value is marked in the back area, which is obviously trashed and unreadable.
A nice little guide how to read smd resistor values:

Reactions: Ithilion