Damaged computer rebuild

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Hello all, I just picked up a Velocity Micro comuter with the following hardware:

Velocity Micro Case
Asus PBZ68-V LX mobo
Core i5-2400 Quad core processor
8 Gig Patriot RAM
XFX Radeon HD 6750 graphics

And I am trying to get this thing to boot. The previous owner said it was knocked off the desk by a child and never booted since. I got it home, and powered it up, putting in my own HDD. The first boot went to this screen:

IMG_20190115_181630.jpg
[/URL][/img]

So I inserted the Win7 disc and it went to the restore screen, or whatever it is called, and I got to the point where it said to reboot the computer, then reinsert the Win7 disc. So I did, and it now won't go past the same screen I shared above. I would appreciate any help in diagnosing the issue here, any thoughts will help.

Solution
And after you actually create this USB install, test it on a known working PC.
Just to verify that you built it correctly, and it can boot up.

Then you try it on this potentially broken system.

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming you have a full Win 7 install disk, don't go to the "restore" screen, but start a full install.

Go all the way through until it asks you Where to install.
Select Custom, and see if it recognizes whatever drives are in there.

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
The problem is no matter what I do now, it won't go past that screen I showed previously. Whether I put in the Win7 disc or not, it goes to that same screen. And when I press the key, it just posts that message again. It seems to be completely stuck there, which makes me wonder if this is a mobo problem.

My Win7 disc says is is the Operating System disk, this DVD may only be used in the recovery of your computer operating system. But it will not boot with this disk now.

USAFRet

Titan

You need to verify that it is actually trying to boot from the Win 7 disk.
Or, create a Win 10 USB or DVD, and try booting from that.

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
That leads to the problem. When I turn the computer on, it goes to a Velocity screen, then to the screen which I screenshot above. I have tried hitting the F keys to go to bios, but it will not for some reason.

How then do I get to bios? Is that where I set the boot order?

I am starting to lean to installing Steam OS to the HDD, and then placing it into the CPU to see if that boots it up, then worry about Windows later if I feel the need to install that OS. I am currently researching how to install it to the external without affecting my main pc HDD. Do you have any advice/links to accomplish this?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
You can't install anything without getting into the BIOS. The error you are getting indicates it is probably having trouble getting to the boot device be it a HDD or SSD. It might just be loose, or it could be worse as in the connector is physically broken. You need look carefully to see where the drive connects to the mobo and where it connects to drive, and make sure the connecting cable is still in good shape. This is all assuming something worse did not happen to the motherboard. Photos of the stuff will be helpful.

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Ok, so I am able to get to the BIOS. I DL'd Steam OS to the HDD, and unzipped it. Is there a way I can set up the OS on the computer, or to the individual HDD via USB connection to the main computer?

I don't want to risk running setup on my main computer, as Steam OS clearly states it will wipe the drive(s) on the computer, and that is the only computer that has connectivity, and a running windows OS.

I will likely be getting some DVD R's tomorrow, so I can do the install from the disk.

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I picked up DVD's and a thumb drive, then unzipped the Steam OS into the thumb drive. I also DL'd the ISO file and burnt it to a DVD. And neither will boot the computer. I press F8 to get to this screen:

IMG_20190117_184424.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I do not know what the P6 option is or means, but it does not work when I select it. I also do not have any cards to boot from, so they are not an option. So I select "Enter Setup", and that takes me to the BIOS screen:

IMG_20190115_211910.jpg
[/URL][/img]

And finally the boot screen:

IMG_20190117_184550.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Neither the CD/DVD or the USB thumb drive are options here. Please tell me if I am doing something wrong.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
From looking at your questions and how you are handling the situation, it would seem that you lack of experience and knowledge gap may make this problem a bit over your head, especially with possible complicating factors. Nonetheless

1. Do you know how to make a bootable media? Do you know what to do with ISO image? Do you know how to make s bootable USB drive? If you thought you could just copy some files to either the a blank CD/DVD or USB drive and it would boot, you would end up exactly where you are right now.

2. Do you understand from looking at your BIOS screen shots e.g.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jcgss77/media/cGF0aDovSU1HXzIwMTkwMTE3XzE4NDU1MC5qcGc=/?ref=
That the P6 atapi is a truncated display string for P6 Atapi iHas 224 which means your DVD/CD drive. Which goes back to 1., which means if you do not have a properly made bootable media, it is not going to boot.

3. Do you know how change the boot priority of your devices from the BIOS. You need to be able to choose that correctly to boot from either the USB drive or the CD/DVD rom media. You have to select the correct one matching your intent. If you have never configured a motherboard setup via the BIOS, this may prove somewhat challenging, at the very least there is going be a lot of trial-and-error to figure things out.

4. From looking at the screen shot, I only see a DVD/CD rom drive and USB drive (hint "Generic US ") that the motherboard detected. It would seem that it is unaware of any sort of HDD/SSD you've installed. It would probably be good provide a picture of the stuff inside your machine and how you are physically connecting stuff.

5. From your screen show, the system is seeing the Generic USB CF/SD/SM/MS card reader. Sometimes these crappy card readers are defective, goes bad, or just gets in the way of booting. You may want to unplug it from the motherboard as to avoid further complications. If you thought you could just use any old flash media thru a card reader, you may be disappointed. The quality control on those things makes this a hit-or-miss affair with lots of frustration.

6. The claim that machine was knocked off the desk and won't boot anymore, may or may not be true, may even be cover for something else, or it could mean that there is physical damage somewhere in the machine. So once again a good photo or two of the hardware may be needed to diagnose.

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I am new to this, and figured that a good way to learn is to start with this low cost computer, so yes, I have little experience with any of what I am asking about here. Which I want to learn, and is why I am asking questions, I want to learn from people who know, not learn the hard way, meaning destroying this further. Since BIOS is available, I do believe that there may be a way to get this computer running.

1. I do now know, I have never loaded an OS to a computer before. I just installed the Win10 boot to a USB as linked by @USAFRet and disconnected the USB readers at the motherboard.

2. I know now.

3.I do not know how to change the boot priority, but it seems that I should be able to click on the 1st boot device and change it to another. However, my BIOS does not allow me to select anything else but the aforementioned device, which is still not working.

4. I disconnected the card reader, and now, as you can see from the picture below, that nothing else is a selectable option:

IMG_20190117_214434.jpg
[/URL][/img]

5. I am not using a card, I am using a USB drive, as none of the tutorials I have read have mentioned anything but a DVD or USB drive for boot.

6. I understand. I will take pictures and post them tomorrow, I am done messing with this thing for the night.

I appreciate the help being given here, and also appreciate everyone's patience with an extreme noob like me!

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Thank you for the information, Yes I did go there. And that is not stated on the Windows site, unless I simply missed it. Can I download it to a HDD connected via USB to my working computer, and then run the MediaCreationTool that way?

USAFRet

Titan

Do you have another working PC?
If so, use that...download the MediaCreation tool. The small exe.
Run it to create the USB install.
Then, in this potentially broken PC, try to boot from that.

But you WILL need a different running PC to create that USB

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Got it, and I do have the external USB thumb drive, as well as a HDD reader.

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

I did indeed, per your recommendation, test the USB thumb drive on my working PC, and it did work. So I installed the HDD into the new (to me) computer, and inserted the USB drive. It finally took me through the install process, and everything seemed good. Until it said this:

IMG_20190118_211827.jpg
[/URL][/img]

So I initiated a system repair, and it then said this:

IMG_20190118_212933.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I then entered the command prompt, per a web search for this issue, and performed a fix where they copy some registry(?) errors, but that was also to no avail. I am still searching for a fix, but your experience here is obviously welcomed. It seems I am baby crawling through this!

USAFRet

Titan
Be very careful of what you find on the web. A lot of that is simply junk, or purposely damaging.
Especially regarding the Registry.

And now is when you can begin actual troubleshooting.

Reduce the system to the absolute minimum it needs to run.
1 stick of RAM, remove the GPU and connect the monitor to the motherboard port.
Remove anything else not absolutely necessary.

Try it again.

And read through here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

jcgss77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

So, it turns out that all I needed to do was just run the Windows10 install process multiple times. It has been running well, and I purchased a key for the Win10 OS to make it legit.

Then, when I installed my better PSU and graphics card, the system did something weird-many processes errored out. It would not copy and paste, Edge would crash after a couple seconds, the USB keyboard would not work while the mouse did. Copy and paste would not work, and the troubleshooting would likewise not work for any program. So I did a fresh install of Win10, and now it is working like a charm.

Thank you for your help, and @nobspls likewise thank you. This has been an excellent learning experience, and hope to do this more in the future.