Damaged content of recovered unzipped .rar file

m_imran_mirza

Prominent
Oct 11, 2018
Hi All, I had formatted hard drive which contained one password protected .rar file. I used EaseUs data recovery software to recover the lost data. EaseUs data recovery recovered the data of lost .rar file but in unzipped form, it recovered all the content of that .rar file, but all the contents are damaged, as the .rar file was password protected.

my question is that can i repair the damaged recovered contents, or can i convert the extracted contents back to .rar file so that i can enter the password to extract the .rar file.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Why didn't you just recover the original zip file? Sounds like you tried to open it rather than save it.

Also bear in mind that it may not be possible to recover all data.

If it has been damaged or there are missing bits, it will not be possible to recreate them.

m_imran_mirza

Prominent
Oct 11, 2018
Why didn't you just recover the original zip file? Sounds like you tried to open it rather than save it.

Also bear in mind that it may not be possible to recover all data.

If it has been damaged or there are missing bits, it will not be possible to recreate them.
Dear asoroka, thank you for your response to my query. I tried to recover the zip file but could not get it, what is get is the folder which contains all the contents of that password protected rar file but all the contents are damaged. Let me tell you in detail. Lets say the name of original rar file was "abc.rar" which was password protected, and additionally i had removed its extension, which means the updated name of that file was simply "abc" Now when i recovered the data by EaseUs data recovery software it recovered the folder having name "abc.000" this folder contains all the contents and internal folders in it and all the files in its internal folders, but all the files are damaged, because the original rar file was password protected.

Please let me know if there is any way to convert abc.000 folder again to its original form which is abc.rar, so that i can apply the password on that original rar file to uncompressed it, or suggest me if there is some other way.

popatim

Titan
" Now when i recovered the data by EaseUs data recovery software it recovered the folder having name "abc.000" this folder contains all the contents and internal folders in it and all the files in its internal folders, but all the files are damaged, because the original rar file was password protected.

The .000 extension indicates that this is just a file fragment and not the whole file, which from your description contained just the table of contents of the folder. It's not corrupt because it was password protect. It's corrupt because it's missing all the pieces that make up the whole file. Files are stored in sectors. Sectors typically hold 4kb of data these days. Files larger then 4kb get spread out to other empty sectors and the harddrive records where all these pieces reside in the File Allocation Table (FAT) . Recovery depends on if the remaining pieces can be recovered and reassembled into a whole file again. At this point, it is probably best left to a professional recovery service.

m_imran_mirza

Prominent
Oct 11, 2018
That file is almost certainly lost for good, especially considering it took a year to respond to this thread.
Thank you for your reply, the reason for responding back after an year is that i didn't received any notification replies on this tread, and yesterday while searching again on my question i found this same thread so that i replied again on it. I do have my original had disk and all its recovered data intact with me. if you have any suggestion to recover .000 folder please let me know.