'Damaged Core,' A VR Take On The First-Person Shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Can you please re-brand Tom's Hardware as Tom's VR World? Because that's 90% of your content these days.
well that's the tech world right now and probably for the next few months as these products are front and center.

so you can see yourself out if you don't like it

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
OK, When this whole VR headset started to culminate into FPS games I knew this would be the problem - how to move, aim, and shoot. I knew developers would find it difficult to achieve what people expect.

Here's what people expect for the words 'Virtual Reality' FPS to be lived up to:
1) Aim only the character's perspective with your head (camera)
2) Aim your gun seperately with your hands.
3) Movement is "not on-rails".

In traditionally controlled FPS games your cross-hair is locked to the center of the camera. If you given a headset and played a game like that, you will get very tired of having to aim the gun with your head. And it isn't realistic.

So the challenge for developers is to create a new input method that lets you move, and aim your gun, and camera-look with your head at the same time, while seeming like "virtual reality".

That, my friends will be a long time coming. A VR headset without the rest, will be disappointing. That's why we're now hearing about VR interactive movies and on-rail turret games etc. This is when they hype dies off. VR isn't ready yet.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Can you please re-brand Tom's Hardware as Tom's VR World? Because that's 90% of your content these days.

Hah, we know, we know. It's just that VR is happening NOW, and we're covering it as best we can. Look, we're out at GDC, and GDC is all about VR this year. So.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Here's what people expect for the words 'Virtual Reality' FPS to be lived up to:

That, my friends will be a long time coming.

Not sure what you mean. The Oculus touch and VIve conrollers track seperate from the headset and the Omni treadmill is the first solution for locomotion. Games like this...yea I think Oculus made a mistake not including their controllerss at launch.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
OK, When this whole VR headset started to culminate into FPS games I knew this would be the problem - how to move, aim, and shoot. I knew developers would find it difficult to achieve what people expect.

In traditionally controlled FPS games your cross-hair is locked to the center of the camera. If you given a headset and played a game like that, you will get very tired of having to aim the gun with your head. And it isn't realistic.

So the challenge for developers is to create a new input method that lets you move, and aim your gun, and camera-look with your head at the same time, while seeming like "virtual reality".

That, my friends will be a long time coming. A VR headset without the rest, will be disappointing. That's why we're now hearing about VR interactive movies and on-rail turret games etc. This is when they hype dies off. VR isn't ready yet.

simple, your head should be where you aim,
if you add eye tracking, the majority of aiming should be eye tracking, with fine tuning being mouse based.

there you go, fps genre is working for vr.

your body, is always forward though, so it would work semi tankish... think of controlling a third person action game, thats how movement should be but first person.

paladinnz

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Valve already has this with HL2 and Team Fortress 2 but one of the problems is motion sickness. Having played HL2 on my Rift DK2 everything looked really cool but in situations where you are doing a lot of running and gunning or jumping, it can start to feel pretty bad.
This is why we are seeing a lot of VR FPS games where you are pretty much fixed to a spot or on rails (constant velocity movement isn't to bad, it the start/stop/acceleration that does it). Nothing would be worse than lots of users shelling out $500 only to find that they feel sick whenever they use it, that would hurt VR pretty bad I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.