[SOLVED] Damaged CPU Socket… Repair or replace MB?

Scooter B

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
I have a custom built PC with a Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and initially put an i5 (Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor) but the MB specs also stated it supported 6th and 7th gen i7 CPUs. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10#ov

Painful story short there were some or one i7s on sale during Amazon Prime Days for under $250 and thought I verified that the CPU was listed as compatible on the Gigabyte website but either I misread the details or ordered the wrong CPU and you can guess the rest. Pins are completely FUBAR’d in the socket.

It took Gigabytes Support over a week to respond and the wording of the response about
i7 compatibility for my MB and possible repair options was worded in a contradictory statement but it sounds like my only options are to send the MB in for non warranty replacement of the CPU socket (no idea on cost $$) or consider just replacing the MB.

Last time I tried to replace a MB in an old HP Media Center HP due to a broken digital audio out jack I got the MS Window issue saying I was trying to install my OS on a different PC. PC has been down for a week, no idea about return time or costs for repair and any used matching MB listed on New Egg are shipping from China with possible 30 day shipping times. Grrr

What is likely my most economic solution that isn’t going to take a month to resolve?

Solution
Well you can somewhat blame Intel for using LGA1151 for four generations, 6th and 7th, and then 8th and 9th with no compatibility, also the same physical size as LGA 1150, 1156, and LGA1200.

What CPU did you buy? Or did you already return it?

I would say best option is to buy a new CPU and motherboard. i5-10400 is quite the bargain at the moment, 6 cores 12 threads, even an i3-10100 is going to outperform any of the 7th gen i7...

i5-11400F (no graphics) is a popular budget gaming choice, just short of AMDs Ryzen 5 5600X.

Unless you are still using an OEM OS install, you should be able to re-use it. Worst case you can just install Windows 10 and run it unactivated, they don't shut it off or anything. Just a little watermark in the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well you can somewhat blame Intel for using LGA1151 for four generations, 6th and 7th, and then 8th and 9th with no compatibility, also the same physical size as LGA 1150, 1156, and LGA1200.

What CPU did you buy? Or did you already return it?

I would say best option is to buy a new CPU and motherboard. i5-10400 is quite the bargain at the moment, 6 cores 12 threads, even an i3-10100 is going to outperform any of the 7th gen i7...

i5-11400F (no graphics) is a popular budget gaming choice, just short of AMDs Ryzen 5 5600X.

Unless you are still using an OEM OS install, you should be able to re-use it. Worst case you can just install Windows 10 and run it unactivated, they don't shut it off or anything. Just a little watermark in the corner to remind you. (They make their money off the telemetry data they collect these days)

Solution