Question Damaged ddr4 slots?

Sep 30, 2019
I have tested both of my ram units (2*8gb kingston hyperx fury black 2400mhz) on all 4 slots.

Let me give you a picture of my slots
(-----------CHANNEL A-----------) 1
(-----------CHANNEL B-----------) 3
(-----------CHANNEL A-----------) 2
(-----------CHANNEL B-----------) 4

Neither of the two rams work in slots 1 and 3, my pc will simply not turn on. but both of them work on slots 2 and 4 but only individually, if i insert both of the ram units in the remaining two slots my pc again won't turn on. So i am forced to use only one ram unit in either slot 2 or 4.

Is my motherboard (Asus Z170-K) damaged? What can i do to troubleshoot? Also can a damaged motherboard also damage other parts of the computer like my cpu/gpu?

This is what cpu-z shows me.
View: https://i.imgur.com/My5ijg0.png

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Are those RAM units a paired set for dual channel?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

Use the Guide/Manual to confirm how the memory modules should be paired and installed.

And be aware that some motherboards require that a particular memory slot (#2) be the first to be installed.

----

Any damaged device can cause further damage to individual components or connected devices.

Likely to be electrical in nature (versus software) and, even there is partial damage, ultimately fatal with respect to further use of the victim.

Sep 30, 2019
Are those RAM units a paired set for dual channel?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

Use the Guide/Manual to confirm how the memory modules should be paired and installed.

And be aware that some motherboards require that a particular memory slot (#2) be the first to be installed.

----

Any damaged device can cause further damage to individual components or connected devices.

Likely to be electrical in nature (versus software) and, even there is partial damage, ultimately fatal with respect to further use of the victim.
Yes my ram units are supposed to be a pair for dual channel. Before i had this problem happen to me i used to have my ram on slot 3 and 4, but after a power shortage i started having memory management bluescreens and thats when i first had this issue with my ddr4 slots

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to carefully retry the supported memory configurations with both the current RAM modules and, if possible with another set of known working RAM modules.

Again there may be some risk in doing so. However, reading back you mentioned power shortage - meaning the power went off versus some electrical surge from some electrical problem or lighting - correct?

Power loss is less likely to have caused damage per se than some surge of current.

Do whatever you can to test modules individually and in pairs.

Be methodical with the goal to determine the root problem either directly or by elimination.

Are you able to get into BIOS and check system configuration settings?

Sep 30, 2019
My suggestion is to carefully retry the supported memory configurations with both the current RAM modules and, if possible with another set of known working RAM modules.

Again there may be some risk in doing so. However, reading back you mentioned power shortage - meaning the power went off versus some electrical surge from some electrical problem or lighting - correct?

Power loss is less likely to have caused damage per se than some surge of current.

Do whatever you can to test modules individually and in pairs.

Be methodical with the goal to determine the root problem either directly or by elimination.

Are you able to get into BIOS and check system configuration settings?
I have already ruled out the possibility of faulty ram, like i said they both work but only as long as it's just one of them. Unfortunately i dont have any other spare ram units to test with. I can access the bios yes, are you suggesting that i should reset the settings/play with them a bit?

Sep 30, 2019
I am truly sorry but i do not know what any of this pdf means.
View: https://i.imgur.com/7UWkjon.png

This is my motherboard in case you were wondering.

Ralston18

Titan
No problem.

What that .pdf means/provides is a list of the supported memory modules relevant to your computer's motherboard.

Caveat being that I did not err with respect to the motherboard's version, etc..

The end objective being to provide some certainty that the motherboard does support both the installed RAM and the corresponding configuration.

Details matter.

Compare what you see in CPU-z to what RAM and RAM configurations that the motherboard supports.

Sep 30, 2019
No problem.

What that .pdf means/provides is a list of the supported memory modules relevant to your computer's motherboard.

Caveat being that I did not err with respect to the motherboard's version, etc..

The end objective being to provide some certainty that the motherboard does support both the installed RAM and the corresponding configuration.

Details matter.

Compare what you see in CPU-z to what RAM and RAM configurations that the motherboard supports.
According to cpu-z my ram is running at 2140 mhz which is i guess a little underclocked(my ram is supposed to be running at 2400 mhz)?
My motherboard supports up to 3466 mhz. I am certain my motherboard supports it because i have been running my pc with those ram modules for 4 years now, perhaps you think i should tinker with the bios settings a bit?
I am sorry if i am a total noob on this, i don't have much experience regarding hardware, my ddr4 slots not picking up on my ram is a surprise to me.

Ralston18

Titan
Not at all sure about how much tolerance the RAM modules have with respect to the timing. Someone else may be able to offer further comment. If the modules have worked for many years then I see no reason to start changing things. May create other problems.

What was the reason for replacing the thermal paste? Were there some other preceding problem or problems?

As for CPU-z, what do you see with respect to the SPD tab and the individual # slots?

Do not tinker with the BIOS settings until there is some definitive reason to do so.

No harm in carefully looking and exploring the current configuration settings just to investigate if something is not as you expect.

Sep 30, 2019
Sorry for the late reply, was busy all day.

To answer your question about the thermal paste, i didn't have overheating problems or anything, i just thought it would be a good idea to change it because my old paste was over 4 years old and i had not changed it once.

This is what cpu-z shows me on the SPD tab:
View: https://i.imgur.com/29fufjc.png

Note that i am able to only use one of the ram modules, otherwise my pc won't boot, so this is for slot #4.

Also one little honest mistake, my ram modules are supposed to be running at 2133 Mhz instead of 2400 Mhz which is what i mentioned earlier in one of my replies, and according to my bios it seems to be running at 2133 Mhz so the frequency seems to be correct.