[SOLVED] Damaged GPU, keep or return?

sam555

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hi , I received this damaged 2070 super from ebay recently. The board is clearly bent on one corner. However it seems to work just fine. Should I be concerned that it will affect performance; if that part snapped off completely would the graphic card 'die', or is it not critical?
https://ibb.co/VmJyRGZ

Solution
Well, the GPU isn't "bent", it is "broken" from that corner. Though, what is broken is the empty PCB, which doesn't contain any circuitry and if the part happens to come off completely, i don't think it would have any impacts on how GPU works. Since if it would, the GPU wouldn't work right now.

It's up to you if to return it or not.
Some people are very picky and want their products to be in mint condition, without any visual damage to any of the part. While others can let the small cracks (e.g in plastic shroud) to pass since the product works otherwise fine.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the GPU isn't "bent", it is "broken" from that corner. Though, what is broken is the empty PCB, which doesn't contain any circuitry and if the part happens to come off completely, i don't think it would have any impacts on how GPU works. Since if it would, the GPU wouldn't work right now.

It's up to you if to return it or not.
Some people are very picky and want their products to be in mint condition, without any visual damage to any of the part. While others can let the small cracks (e.g in plastic shroud) to pass since the product works otherwise fine.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Agreed with @Aeacus here.... entirely up to you, if it's not impacting functionality.

In my opinion, it'll depend on price.
If you paid a market rate for the card, based on 'mint condition', then I'd probably return it.

If you got a good deal (relative to a 2070 super's 'going' rate), then this essentially cosmetic damage could be considered a worthwhile tradeoff.

Reactions: sam555

sam555

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Thanks for clarifying that the damage won't affect the function. I bought it refurbished so was expecting some superficial damage, it was one of the cheapest I've seen listed this month so I'll stick with it.