Damaged harddisk: motherboard problem?

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I've a strange problem, recenlty I changed 2 of my harddisks because they had some problems (linux adviced me of this, then I checked with CrystalDisk Info and HdTune and yes they have), so I prevent "the disaster" with 2 new harddisks (the olders hdds had 2 years). I've a 3rd HDD on this computer, the one with windows xp partition which is totally fine (and is 4 years old!). The problem is that the 2 new hdds now are having problems, expecially one which has a problem that can be listened to (it's like a rotational delay). It's making my os freezes for a few seconds every now and then, I turned it off and removed it from my computer to save data that I have there. This problem is the same identical I had with the older harddisk I had in that same slot.
The other problem is that the other hard disk (the one that is "new" and it's working) has something tagged as "yellow" in HD Tune (SpinRetryCount 100/100/97/0/Ok and an Unknown attribute). I don't think it's actually a problem but I'm frightened now, could be my motherboard?it's a big problem for me.

These newer hdds are 3 monts old, they are in warranty with Western Digital... but I need to backup data before I can ask for a hdd exchange I think (how can I do it?I don't have 1000GB to store data on)

The problem of the damaged hdd is "Reallocated sectors count (56)" and started happening when stressed (I created around 5-6 videos with fraps (around 40GB each one). Windows gave me 2-3 bsods caused by hdd driver.

What's the problem?
Motherboard?Cables?I really don't know, what can I do?

I will change my computer in a few months (I need to finish a program for my parents), can I resist a bit?

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Useful information about damaged harddisk:
RAM: 3Gb
Partitions: Linux swap, Linux ext3, ntfs (for storage purposes)
I never run linux till I started using this harddisk except from grub which is run always on machine startup (obviusly)

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

No they aren't, producer is wstern digital and... I don't know what you mean by "model", where can I read it? (on the hdd i suppose)

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Sorry for this but I've sent you some wrong information:
Hdd's are Seagate (maybe olders were western digital, I don't know).
The damaged hdd is ST31000528AS

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

12!

And yes is definitely broken, i connected it through usb and gave me a lot of problems...

I do not believe it is the MOBO or cable that is to blame. could be damage that could have happened during shipping.

it is sad but there is not one good reliable drive out there. I had similar problems with WD Black Caviar and Samsung F3.

personally I started buying retail instate of OEM.

drives used to be more reliable when they cost $300 to $400

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
"resurrecting the post": today I noticed that my second hard drive is having "problems", while actually it doesn't result as damaged, had some problems with spin retry count (you can HEAR it stopping spinning)

However, this is not damaged like the others

The important thing by the way is not that one but this:
I "lucky" discover that when I was having a lot of hard drive problems I had the process "Reader Library.exe" working on my hard drive, It runs a lot of dlls/things like that on my hard drive and it's always running.

This process is Sony reader library, I don't understand why is such invasive to just copy-paste my pdfs to my ebook reader...

After noticing this, I disabled the software and my hard-drive problems magically disappeared...

Could really be a software that caused problem? In this case, should I call Sony?
I can do some tests in this period

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Another important information: The 2 older (broken) hard drives, started having problems when I installed my ebook reader software ('cos I bought the reader), I think this is quite significant

LJGrant

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Well, if disabling the software fixed the problem, it is not a hardware issue.

Sector error messages can be due to bad sectors or messed up partition tables which are quite often fixable. There are many free partition editors. There's an Easeus product as well as the Linux GPARTED which can run on your Windows system as a bootable CDROM.

I have a HD that reports in bios, it is brrtfghrthhn brand. I really think that is a hardware problem. (The drive tech support department agrees.)

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Yes disabling the software helped me a bit because it uses widely the hard drives, now the problem persist even without software...

My motherboard (or energy feeder?) is killing my harddrives... and now is try to kill my main harddrive :(

I hope they will survive 'till friday, I bought a new computer :p

The Mad General

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Just in case it helps I ordered a replacement board for a hard disk from http://onepcbsolution.com/
The product arrived on time and it was a breeze to replace the board.