Question Damaged HDD showing as 30KB unallocated space

McGeezle

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
My laptop suffered a fall which caused a hard shutdown and the HDD to be unbootable. It also isn't detected in Windows when connected as an external, only in Disk Management and recovery software (MiniTool Power Data Recovery) and the results can be seen in the screenshots.
Is my only option now to use an expensive data recovery service to retrieve my files?
(No I have not tried to initialise it or created any new partitions etc. I haven't touched it as I am aware of the danger.)
Also bear in mind I am not savvy with command prompt and need clear instructions if there even is anything I can try.

Disk Management:
ll.png

MiniTool Power Data Recovery:
f.png
Untitled.png

When a HDD is exposeg to g-forces while spinning, the r/w head may hard scratch the disk surface. Therefore, you may ending up further damaging the disk by try to run it further.

But of course, you don't have to spend money on data recovery - the normal procedure now is to replace the hdd and then revert the backup. You did make backup of important files, didn't you?

If not, then you need to seek out a professional company that may recover the data for you.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, a software solution doesn't work if nothing can read the hard drive. Now the calculus becomes "How valuable is your data to you?" Proper data recovery services are not cheap. Unfortunately, the Computer Gods are known for their cruel lessons given to people who don't back up their data!