Question Damaged PCIe pin on RTX 3080

Apr 15, 2022
Hi!

I got my hands on a damaged RTX 3080, one of the pins on the PCIe interface is chipped off slightly and seems to have no connection. Am i right that this is the ground pin? Would it be possible to ground it somewhere else?

Here's a picture of the damaged pin: View: https://imgur.com/a/RZGGhJ6

The card has been tested after the damage, could this have done further damage to the internals?

Thanks and BR

Apr 15, 2022
I am pretty sure this is not normal as you can feel the most right lane move a little bit when touching it, it is slightly chipped.

edit: I am not talking about the second pin from the right, which is shorter, this one should be like this. The pin i think is damaged is the most right, which is slightly bent and not having contact anymore.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure this is not normal as you can feel the most right lane move a little bit when touching it, it is slightly chipped.

edit: I am not talking about the second pin from the right, which is shorter, this one should be like this. The pin i think is damaged is the most right, which is slightly bent and not having contact anymore.
Ah sorry, yeah I was looking at the 2nd pin

Apr 15, 2022
As i try to figure this card out I'd like to invite you to assist me if you are bored, as I am not experienced with GPU troubleshooting at all. The card draws power and is running, but it is not getting recognized by the PC at all. All I know is that the previous owner crashed his motherboard with inserting the GPU forcefully. There are no other damaging marks on the PCIe interface.

Apr 15, 2022
Make sure the chipped pin is not shorting to neighbor pin. Other then that, if there are no damage marks on PCIe slot I guess you should look for them elsewhere. I mean forcing the card to the point it breaks motherboard has to do some damage to the card, right?

Chipped pin and neighbor pin are not shorting.

I also expect this card to be faulty somewhere, but I have no idea where to start as it is not showing up in device manager, bios or whatever monitoring I got.

Apr 15, 2022
D

Deleted member 362816

Nope, this card has not been used for mining. It has not been used at all as it has been damaged before the PC as finished.

I also thought about flashing a fresh BIOS on it could help, but as it is not getting recognized I don't know how

Possible one of the Vram chip resoldered, Throw it in a toaster over. Has worked many times in the past for me if you do it right.