News Damn Small Linux returns after a 12-year break – grows from 50MB to 700MB

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Knoppix used to be my bootable Linux distro of choice. Lately, I've just been using Kubuntu, since it has an option to boot straight into the OS, without installation, and that's the distro I normally run (therefore I've usually got some USB sticks with it lying around).

I haven't tried running it on anything too old, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't usable on a Core 2. IMO, you probably don't want to run modern distros on 32-bit x86 hardware, at this point, since the codepaths for it don't get much testing and are starting to accumulate a significant amount of bugs.

Knoppix used to be my bootable Linux distro of choice. Lately, I've just been using Kubuntu, since it has an option to boot straight into the OS, without installation, and that's the distro I normally run (therefore I've usually got some USB sticks with it lying around).

I haven't tried running it on anything too old, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't usable on a Core 2. IMO, you probably don't want to run modern distros on 32-bit x86 hardware, at this point, since the codepaths for it don't get much testing and are starting to accumulate a significant amount of bugs.
I did just that, actually - Ubuntu dropped x86 support for 18.04, but 20.04 still booted on a Core 2 Quad, and with enough RAM, worked very well.
I did install a very old Pentium III 750 with 384 Mb of RAM with the latest Debian last semester. It took some going to load the proper wifi and sound firmwares, and I had to re-allow Wifi 802.11b on my router to make it work, but I managed to start a desktop environment (lxde) and a media player to play an old DivX on it.
Chromium crashed at start and Firefox crashed when opening a single tab, because there's not enough RAM. That's the "hard" limit now.

Reactions: bit_user