Dark areas on my other computer monitor look "blendy" with a grey tint

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I really don't know how to describe this. I started noticing weird gray coloration in dark areas when playing games. I am forced to turn down the gamma, because it is so awfully ugly on default. And when I turned to gamma down to the point where it wasn't noticeable anymore, it got too dark to see anything else. I was forced to switch my monitor because it was so bad.. I went back to my old monitor and I noticed significant improvement in the quality of dark areas. The monitor I am using now looks perfect even at default gamma. The other monitor used to look so much better, but since this problem showed up, I just can't be bothered to use it.. I don't know what could of caused this, but I hope someone can help me figure it out. Another way to describe it: there is grey "blending" in any dark area, as if the "black got burnt into greyness". Or another way to describe would be:as if someone put gray paint in a few spots where it's dark. This is a huge problem when I play any kind of game because it's just so distracting. If anyone else has actually had this problem, please let me know.

Solution
There isn't - if it's a defect in the monitor, there's nothing you can do. If there's a computer place near you that examines parts, though, you could probably bring it in for no more than $10 to have them look at it without repairing it and see if it's from a part they could replace inside the monitor.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Bleeding sounds just what I am talking about too! The monitor is an LCD which is about 4 years old, the one I am forced to use now is 5 years old.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

I've got a few pictures, I just gotta take the rest and find somewhere to upload them so I can place a link.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

The monitors sadly do not have a brightness per say. It's actually just backlighting, contrast, and gamma on both monitors. No sharpness setting either :(

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Okay I have adjusted the brightness in CCC (Catalyst Control Center), but to no avail. AS I increase the brightness, the grayness returns.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

I think I started noticing it a few weeks ago. The photos I uploaded don't show the worst of it. I was watching a video of Assasin's Creed 3 at the beginning where Desmond is in the cave, and in the dark areas, there was no black, just gray. Or maybe a different Assasin's Creed. idk

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Oh, I almost forgot.. The monitor models.. The good monitor is from emachines (it came with this desktop bundle I got a few years ago) the model number is E19T6W, and the gateway monitor (the bad one) is model number LP1925

There isn't - if it's a defect in the monitor, there's nothing you can do. If there's a computer place near you that examines parts, though, you could probably bring it in for no more than $10 to have them look at it without repairing it and see if it's from a part they could replace inside the monitor.

Solution

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

I guess I can take it down the street to the computer shop and see what they can do about it. Thank you for the help.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Hey, I just remembered something.. The bad monitor has this theme mode button, and when you press it toggles some picture presets under names like: Movie, game, web, or picture. I used these presets before, and the presets have very extreme gamma, contrast, and sharpness qualities to them. I believe that excessive use of these modes may of caused the problem with the grays.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

I guess I will have to check with that tech shop. And now the monitor is the least of my worries. I bought a new cpu online and I received it today with a lot of bent pins. This has got to be one of my worst weeks ever :/ . Thanks again for the help. I'll see you around.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Yeah, you can imagine how furious I was. I'm going to try that credit card trick, if that doesn't show any results, I am just going to return it.