Dark Energy Camera Shows Stars 352 Quintillion Miles Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Pretty amazing stuff.

Someday we'll figure out that we're riding on the back of an electron that's orbiting the nucleus of some exotic material that was created during someone else's atom-smashing experiments. The galaxies we observe as very large to us are someone else's subatomic particles.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Pretty amazing stuff. Someday we'll figure out that we're riding on the back of an electron that's orbiting the nucleus of some exotic material that was created during someone else's atom-smashing experiments. The galaxies we observe as very large to us are someone else's subatomic particles.[/citation]

Someone has been watching way too much men in black

This is so amazing, it just boggles my mind how big the universe really is; it's almost too frightening.
redface.gif

Now, all we need to start doing now is building the USS Enterprise and spreading before humanity kills it self. Life is to short, I want to see it all! :cry:

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
70-75% of the universe is dark energy. Of that remaining 25%, dark matter consists of 80% of the mass. This leaves us, the planets, stars and everything else we see in the visible universe amounting to only 5% of the "stuff" that makes up the universe. Cosmology is awesome!

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I know this will sound silly, but when it comes to art (and many other things) ... the universe is more awe inspiring and beautiful than anything we silly monkeys can come up with.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh and all of these things, the dark matter, dark energy, and regular matter are just what was left over after almost all the anti-matter and regular matter created by the big bang mutually annihilated each other into pure energy.

For every billion particles of anti-matter, there was a billion +1 particles of regular matter. The entire universe consists of those tiny scraps left over after everything else cancelled each other out. Lucky for us there wasn't equal amounts of both or we'd never exist to contemplate it.

Did I mention cosmology for the win?

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Wow, thumbs down to both my posts with nothing but facts relevant to the article? Sorry if a little shared knowledge is offensive to some but if so, I don't think Tom's is the place for you anyway.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
One day we'll find out that the Universe is much more amazing and strange than we can imagine rather like the quantum world. It would be mad if the rate of Universe expansion (dark energy's effect) was found to be increasing infinitely.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]Wow, thumbs down to both my posts with nothing but facts relevant to the article? Sorry if a little shared knowledge is offensive to some but if so, I don't think Tom's is the place for you anyway.[/citation]
That generally happends to every post with substance in it unless an author or mod posts it, so don't worry too much about it.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Wait a minute? They have no idea what is dark matter and dark energy but they have a dark energy camera? Could someone explain, please?!

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]One day we'll find out that the Universe is much more amazing and strange than we can imagine rather like the quantum world. It would be mad if the rate of Universe expansion (dark energy's effect) was found to be increasing infinitely.[/citation]

The more I learn about the Universe the more I have the feeling that it is just a dream. :) If everything is based on probabilities... then either we do not understand anything (yet) or it is here just because there is a probability that it could be (which is insane... or maybe it isn't).

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]They can make clear pictures "zillion" lightyears away but they cant take a clear picture from the Mars surface.. they have to send a rover there.[/citation]
are you serious?

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"with an unprecedented opportunity to travel back into the history of the universe"

Assuming the universe is billions of years old, which I very much doubt. Evolutionists love this line.

The speed of light, believe it or not, isn't a constant, and in fact used to be much faster, which throws that theory out of the window.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]"with an unprecedented opportunity to travel back into the history of the universe"Assuming the universe is billions of years old, which I very much doubt. Evolutionists love this line.The speed of light, believe it or not, isn't a constant, and in fact used to be much faster, which throws that theory out of the window.[/citation]

How do you know that one?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Pretty amazing stuff. Someday we'll figure out that we're riding on the back of an electron that's orbiting the nucleus of some exotic material that was created during someone else's atom-smashing experiments. The galaxies we observe as very large to us are someone else's subatomic particles.[/citation]

Funny, I always thought the opposite; the Atoms we watch are someone else's star system.
Maybe we are both right and our existence is simple a step in the middle.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]Woow!! can you imagine what cameras will be like in a few years?[/citation]

2020 and that will be in your cell phone (the cheap version you get for free when you sign up for basic service).

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]They can make clear pictures "zillion" lightyears away but they cant take a clear picture from the Mars surface.. they have to send a rover there.[/citation]

... or some royal boobs :)

vengefultick

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

OMG! I have said this so many times! I thought I was the only one who thought this. Forgive my apparent ignorance, but I have NEVER heard anyone other than me say this. It is all in repetition!

Status
Not open for further replies.