Dark Knight Vertical on AM3 Board?

crux47

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I will be building a new computer soon, and was reading that the Dark Knight is only able to mount horizontally while blowing the air to the top of the case on AMD boards. If I were to buy Enzotech Type-X AM2 Retention Modules, would that allow me to mount it vertically so it blows air out the back of the case?

Also, I will have a 120mm exhaust fan on the back, and a 230mm exhaust fan on the top. Would there be much difference in airflow throughout the computer depending on which way I mount the Dark Knight? Seems it would work better sitting vertically to help push the air from the front fans.

Thanks.

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
The answer is yes, you could, with a little bit of modification it seems. If you read comments on newegg there is at least one person who used it to mount a dark knight vertically.

I doubt it matters much which way you mount it as far as airflow, most people purchase this bracket when mounting a dark knight style cooler interferes with their RAM. Vertical is probably a bit better as far as airflow because too many fans exhausting up can rob fresh air from the lower parts of your case/mobo.

crux47

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Yea I'm starting to lean more towards one that won't require any special brackets or needing to modify anything to make it sit vertical. Do you know if the Sunbeam one will?

Also, how would Zalman 9500 AM2 compare?

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

The Sunbeam will mount vertically on an AM2/3 board, though looking around at reviews it may be a bit difficult.

Zalman heatsinks just don't perform quite as well as the top dogs as of late. I wouldn't recommend them for serious overclocking.

ezkiller, I know you are a CCF fanboy after ordering yours but please don't go around calling other good heatsinks "not a very good performer". The Dark Knight is an excellent performer, as is the CCF.