Dark Rock Pro 3 Without its front fan

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hey Guys , Dark Rock Pro 3 has two fans , one 120m on front and one 140mm in the middle

now , if i take the front 120mm off , will it still cool my stuff if not as good will it perform close to its previous state with two fans ? i have seen cpu coolers where the fan is in the middle ( inside the heatsink ) and it performed good .

Solution
It will perform very well without the 2nd fan. Having a second fan only reduces temps by 2-3c.

You do not want to replace the fans on the dark rock pro 3. The fans on the pro 3 are exclusive fans only sold along with that cooler. They are very low noise with good airflow. You can get better performing fans but they will be louder.
It will perform very well without the 2nd fan. Having a second fan only reduces temps by 2-3c.

You do not want to replace the fans on the dark rock pro 3. The fans on the pro 3 are exclusive fans only sold along with that cooler. They are very low noise with good airflow. You can get better performing fans but they will be louder.

Solution

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Wow really ? i thought the middle 140mm fan will have hard time pulling the air in without the help of front fan with that heatsink infront of it , didnt know front fan can have such tiny effect .

Ok do they sell the bequiet 120mm fans separately ? are they as good as their exclusive ones that come with the dark rock heatsink ?

because i was also considering Dark Rock 3 but the 140mm fan will interfere with the memory sticks so i wanted to see if i can replace it with 120mm one from bequiet .

i just googled "be quiet 120mm" but they seem to be case fans not static pressure ones for heatsink .

thanks alot for your answer man ;)

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
few more questions if you had time :D

1. H5 Ultimate is one good cooler but still , its front fan will interfere with my memory sticks , can i replace it with something like Corsairs SP120 and get good and silent performance ?

2. I'm going with ( MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC ) which is a mini itx board , and pair of TridentZ memories which are ( 44mm ) , DarkRockPro's heatsink is tall enough to make no fitting issues for the sticks and its clearance is exactly 44mm . now my question is

If i get H5 Ultimate and get a 120mm Static Pressure fan for it . will the heatsink interfere with ram slots ?

Simpler : any clearance issues with ? Mini ITX board + TridentZ Memory + H5 Ultimate ( with 120mm fan )

Bequiet unfortunately does not see any fans separately. They won't even offer to sell you a 2nd fan if you want to buy one for a Dark Rock 3. I had that CPU cooler and contacted them directly about that.

In response to your 3rd post

1. The SP120 is not a silent fan. If you want a good performing silent fan I would recommend the GentleTyphoon. If you are having so many issues with RAM clearance it might be better just to go AIO watercooling.

2. The H5 has a clearance of 40mm so it would not work.

The cables for the fans on the dark pro 3 are separate but they also come with a splitter so you can use two fans in one 4-pin slot on your motherboard.