Dark Rock Pro 4 and Trident Z memory on Maximus X Hero Motherboard

Sep 11, 2018
I am getting ready for my first build but the I am stuck on getting RAM that actually fits with my CPU air cooler. I have my eye on 2x Trident Z RAM for a total of 32 GB. I am worried that they will not fit with my Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler. I have done a bunch of research and I have read that Trident Z Ram will fit with this CPU Cooler but I would have to raise one of the CPU cooler's fans a little bit. I also read that people have switched the fan, that is usually hovering over the RAM slots, to the other side of the CPU Cooler. But I heard that is a bad idea. I just want some other opinions. Do you think they will fit together?

And btw the motherboard I plan on getting is a Asus Maximus X Hero

Solution
I have the Dark Rock Pro 3. The Dark Rock Pro 4 should be similar. I doubt that they reduced the space for RAM, since that wouldn't make any sense. I had not problems to fit the 2x8GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3000. Most LPX should fit. But I will not be able to remove or add RAM without removing the cooler. I don't think that RAM with long jaw style coolers will fit.

With the Corsair LPX RAM I didn't have to raise one of the fans. But if you have to do that, it is really easy, no problem, and will not affect cooling power.

But the Dark Rock Pro 3 is awesome. I think the biggest change on the Dark Rock Pro 4 is that they made it easier to install. Cooling power is great. I overclocked my 8700k to 4.8GHz on all 6 cores. And temps are absolutely...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I have the Dark Rock Pro 3. The Dark Rock Pro 4 should be similar. I doubt that they reduced the space for RAM, since that wouldn't make any sense. I had not problems to fit the 2x8GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3000. Most LPX should fit. But I will not be able to remove or add RAM without removing the cooler. I don't think that RAM with long jaw style coolers will fit.

With the Corsair LPX RAM I didn't have to raise one of the fans. But if you have to do that, it is really easy, no problem, and will not affect cooling power.

But the Dark Rock Pro 3 is awesome. I think the biggest change on the Dark Rock Pro 4 is that they made it easier to install. Cooling power is great. I overclocked my 8700k to 4.8GHz on all 6 cores. And temps are absolutely acceptable. In games its in the 50s. But the best thing is that this thing is silent....so silent. I need to open my case and go very close with my ear to hear anything during normal load (gaming). I can hear it slightly during stress testing, but only if it is super silent in the house. I also use beQuiet Silent Wings 3 as my case fans. It is a really silent overclocked system.

Send me a PM if you are interested in a photo of my mainboard with ram and dark rock pro3 installed before I put it in my case.

Solution