Question Dark rock pro 4 too heavy

Sep 12, 2019
So I recently installed my new main board. I haven't had any issues but then the PC wouldn't boot . I have tried everything and came to the conclusion that my cooler is too heavy. If i would boot my PC while it lies on the side but if I would pick it up it wouldnt boot . I have fixed it by tying it with the case with a cable binder. But I'm not sure if it will hold for long. Any ideas on how I might resolve this issue. Thanks in advance

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Usually means the screw down procedure was incorrectly done. I'd say what is happening is the cooler isn't as tight to the cpu as it should be and when the case is vertical the cpu is shifting.

You'll need to check the 4x thumbscrews, they should not be able to turn and make sure you mounted all 3 plates the right side up. The 2x cooler plate screws should be hand tight, start one, then other, then go back and forth until both are tight.

Sep 12, 2019
Usually means the screw down procedure was incorrectly done. I'd say what is happening is the cooler isn't as tight to the cpu as it should be and when the case is vertical the cpu is shifting.

You'll need to check the 4x thumbscrews, they should not be able to turn and make sure you mounted all 3 plates the right side up. The 2x cooler plate screws should be hand tight, start one, then other, then go back and forth until both are tight.
If I screw the cooler all the way my PC won't boot it any position.

Sep 12, 2019
You may have over-tightened the screws on the cooler.

I'd suggest laying the case on it's side, loosening the mounting screws a little and see if the PC will boot.

Full PC specs?
Full specs :
i7 8700k
GTX 1070
Asus ROG strix z390-f
M2 ssd Samsung 970 evo
WD blue
Psu be quiet pure power 11
case fractal design meshify c
Cooler dark rock pro 4

fr0sty98

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Im having the exact same issue with dark rock pro 4 if i screw all the way the 2 screws that hold whole cooler my pc just wouldnt boot. But if i loosen them up little bit pc boots. I was so scared that my cpu died....

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That can happen if you aren't careful when screwing down the cpu. If you screw one side fully down before the other, it puts pressure on the cpu, so when tightening the other side down it causes errors.

Its advised to tighten the screws to barely touching then go back and forth gradually tightening each until both are seated fully.