Question Dark Rock Slim Vs Dark Rock 4 (non pro) for 3600x

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hi guys.

So in the final process of my build and battling about cooling solutions for my ITX build, i decided to give it a go to the Wraith Spire before going for a silent aftermarket solution. Result:

Either something is wrong with the Spire/fan configuration, or its just like that, loud as hell. When i boot up, after entering windows the fans kick in quite often even in idle, making a lot of noise....like, i can ear it reving up in the other room with the TV on... I have the Spire connected to the CPU_FAN since it has 4 pin connector. Since even in idle i can ear it revup and its audible 10/15metres away, it seems to me that something isn't right, then again maybe the spire is just loud and i have to change.

Specs:

N-2s case
PSU: Superflower Leadex III 650w
MoBo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus AC
CPU: 3600x
GPU: gtx 1060
Ram: 32gb G.Skill

The case has 1 pre-built spot for one 120mm fan for exhaust in the rear. I'm considering putting a second one for intake on the side (the front is fully occupied by the PSU) since it has breathing hole on both sides and rear.

So, assuming the Spire is just (noise wise) rubbish, i'm considering a Dark Rock since they're the most silent CPU fans, non-AIO.

The question is, tough the the Dark Rock 4 has a TDP of 200w with a 135mm fan vs the Dark Rock slim TDP of 180w with a 120mm fan, according to guru3d they perform basically the same noise wise, and temp wise.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/be_quiet_dark_rock_slim_review,8.html

How is this possible? If the slim has less material to dissipate and and smaller fan, and according to logic and specs, less TDP???

I'm inclined for the slim since its an ITX build, and the less space it occupies, more airflow it will allow, but since i want it the most silent as possible the Dark Rock 4 should offer better performance noise wise.

Toughts? I won't overclock at all.

About your main concern yes, the stock cooler, either wraith spire or stealth, are known to be loud and to have that "ramping up" behavior very often.

They are not bad coolers for stock operation, but they are not designed to be silent. Also keep in mind that in a small ITX case with low airflow it only gets worst.

As for your question on the beQuiet! DarkRock 4 and/or Slim cooler, keep in mind that (I believe) the review you posted was done on an open bench system with stableroom temp of 21°C, that is very diferent from operating a cooler in a closed case in your room.

As for which one you should get, If I was to choose I would probably pick the biggest I can fit. The more metal a heatsinks have the biggest the chances are the fan can keep a low operation noise/speed.

Then again if space is an issue, the DR Slim should be a good upgrade over your stock cooler.

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
As for your question on the beQuiet! DarkRock 4 and/or Slim cooler, keep in mind that (I believe) the review you posted was done on an open bench system with stableroom temp of 21°C, that is very diferent from operating a cooler in a closed case in your room.

As for which one you should get, If I was to choose I would probably pick the biggest I can fit. The more metal a heatsinks have the biggest the chances are the fan can keep a low operation noise/speed.

Then again if space is an issue, the DR Slim should be a good upgrade over your stock cooler.

Ok, still, it seems such a negligible difference that blows my mind.

I have the space for the bigger one, it's just a matter of: More room for airflow+smaller heatsink vs Less airflow with bigger heatsink, and thus the impact noise wise.

Ma3s7ro

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Oh and how do i determine the real ram height once inside the socket for the CPU fan clearance? It seems the Dark Rock 4 is a possible no-go is the ram is large, tough the g.skill Aegis seems pretty small height wise once inside the socket.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
In a similar boat just recently. Thought the noise that sounded like a transformer was the stock wraith. Went nutty deciding on coolers, attachment method, etc. Was all set to buy a Reeven Justice II and shim it up a hair when I diagnosed a bit more. Think my noise was the rear fan on a CM case needing grommets/washers but I bought some fans on sale. Was itching to try some 'silent' fans anyhow.

I think the noise aspect of these 2 are obviously, all about the fans. I've researched obsessively re: dBA range, lifespan & other fan specs. I think you'll find both fans are near inaudible until 80% + RPM, or there abouts. So I believe you'll find no discernible diff in going with the slim. That said it's not a great cooler but like me you're not going to OC.

Thoroughly agree w/RodroX re: open test bed.

Many users have complained about the ryzen stock coolers, others get bent out of shape thinking they're quiet. Life is subjective. As far as 'basically the same' temps the graphcs clearly show the larger HSF being a few degrees cooler. Obviously due to it's mass & larger fan.

In any event there's a reason they sell so many of these. I found there's little sense in trying to buy a bq fan to put on another cooler. I'd rather have a hydro dynamic but most fans will outlive multiple builds unless they develop a problem. Don't think you'll regret either, but no need to throw more money at the problem than necessary.

Unfortunately I can't think of a link to help re: ram clearance but AFAIK the Aegis doesn't have tall heatspreader so they should be normal height ram. I believe anything taller than what the CM Hyper 212 can handle is considered 'tall' ram.