aslr

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
Hi all! I hope you can help me

I recently purchased a new Kingston A400 960 GB SSD. When I connected it to my computer, I used a power cable that I didn't realize it was a Type 3 cable from a Corsair power supply (CSM650, I have a NZXT Hale). So when I turned it on, it started to burn (I saw smoke coming out of the PC) and immediate I turned off the PC, resulting in SSD’s sata power connector and both data and power cables burned/melted. None of other components were affected besides the SSD and those sata cables as far as I know.

The data cable burned on the mobo’s side, but the sata port has no visible damage. On the SSD side, the are no visible damage also. Both cables and SSD were very hot when I turned off PC, so I don’t know if the SSD survived, I didn’t test it so far.
So, I have some questions about what happened:
  1. Is there a possibility that the sata port in the mobo were affected or can’t work again?
  2. If 1 is possible, is there any safe way to test it after that short circuit? For example, can I just plug another sata data cable with a drive on it? (with the correct power supply cable of course)
  3. Could the SSD have been damaged and cause a short circuit if I connect it to the computer, even with the correct cables?
My components:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Asrock RX 6700xt
Mobo: Asus Prime X570-P
PSU: NZXT Hale V2S 700w (from my old pc, it has 7 years old)

Thank you in advance!

Solution
1. Is there a possibility that the sata port in the mobo were affected or can’t work again?
Most likely damaged.
2. If 1 is possible, is there any safe way to test it after that short circuit? For example, can I just plug another sata data cable with a drive on it? (with the correct power supply cable of course)
You can try. But the drive is toast.
3. Could the SSD have been damaged and cause a short circuit if I connect it to the computer, even with the correct cables?
It's possible.
Most likely damaged.
It's possible.

Solution

aslr

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
It looks like a massive current flowed between a SATA power ground pin and the SATA data ground pins. The SSD would probably be protected by an e-fuse, but we won't know if it did its job unless you show us the PCB.
It's good to know that there is a chance that it's ok, but I've contacted Kingston and the seller anyway to try to get a replacement SSD, due to it is a new drive. If they can't give me a replacement I will try to take it apart to look at it internally and post pics of it. Thank you

aslr

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
Most likely damaged.

It's possible.
I've been testing the motherboard for several hours with the correct cables and a hard drive I have and haven't had any problems, so fortunately the motherboard seems to be fine!
Using wrong PSU cables is user fault.
Drive manufacturer warranty doesn't cover user caused damage.
Ok, I have no choice but to order a new SSD soon. I don't want to risk other components by testing the damaged SSD. Thanks!

DSzymborski

Titan
Why is this PSU being used in the first place? If this is the NZXT HALE82 V2 700W, it's a cheaply made group-regulated Sirtec of positively ancient design and ultra cheap Su'scon capacitors and it's not even a new mediocre PSU, but one that's nearing a decade old. It has no business ever being used with, like, any of this hardware.

Reactions: aslr and CountMike

aslr

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
Why is this PSU being used in the first place? If this is the NZXT HALE82 V2 700W, it's a cheaply made group-regulated Sirtec of positively ancient design and ultra cheap Su'scon capacitors and it's not even a new mediocre PSU, but one that's nearing a decade old. It has no business ever being used with, like, any of this hardware.
Hmm, that's interesting and worrying at the same time. I had no idea NZXT did that, I thought the V2s (and the vast majority of NZXT) were Seasonic quality. So before the SSD I need to upgrade the power supply asap. Could you recommend one? Maybe a Be quiet Pure Power 11 850w? Seasonic Focus GX 850, or a Corsair RM750x (same price as a Be quiet, but with less power)?. Thank you

DSzymborski

Titan
Hmm, that's interesting and worrying at the same time. I had no idea NZXT did that, I thought the V2s (and the vast majority of NZXT) were Seasonic quality. So before the SSD I need to upgrade the power supply asap. Could you recommend one? Maybe a Be quiet Pure Power 11 850w? Seasonic Focus GX 850, or a Corsair RM750x (same price as a Be quiet, but with less power)?. Thank you
IF it's the Hale 82 that is.

NZXT sells a lot of good PSUs now, but when you said seven years ago, the alarms went off in my head.

Reactions: aslr