Data backup and synchronization program

Hey

Any suggestions on the subject?

tnx

ann

Use your Ipod!

I'm down to the wire - only 1 more person has to join for the Free
IPOD.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12038145

Yes, I am still sending a GMAIL invite to anyone who sign's up and
complete's an offer... Heck, I'll even send you the $1.00 to cover
whatever you signed up for! There are many items that are FREE, and a
few that cost only $1.00. (Please email me to discuss)

Anyhow, your help is appreciated!

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12038145

Just to make it clear - the free iPod thing is not a rip-off. Many
television stations in the mid-west, newspapers, and consumer
protection agencies have put this to the test - and they DID receive
their ipod! (yes, once the requirements were fulfilled it did take
about 3 weeks to be delivered, but it was delivered!)

Thanks for your support!

Use your Ipod!

I'm down to the wire - only 1 more person has to join for the Free
IPOD.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12038145

Yes, I am still sending a GMAIL invite to anyone who sign's up and
complete's an offer... Heck, I'll even send you the $1.00 to cover
whatever you signed up for! There are many items that are FREE, and a
few that cost only $1.00. (Please email me to discuss)

Anyhow, your help is appreciated!

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12038145

Just to make it clear - the free iPod thing is not a rip-off. Many
television stations in the mid-west, newspapers, and consumer
protection agencies have put this to the test - and they DID receive
their ipod! (yes, once the requirements were fulfilled it did take
about 3 weeks to be delivered, but it was delivered!)

Thanks for your support!

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ann Onimus" <Ann@Onimus.net> wrote in message
> Hey
>
> Any suggestions on the subject?
>
> tnx
>
> ann

You want us to comment on the subject? Aren't there other newsgroups where
they discuss message subjects?

--
Joep

"Joep" <available@request.nl> shared:

>You want us to comment on the subject? Aren't there other newsgroups where
>they discuss message subjects?

you are so funny :)
LOL

no, but I am sure you are able to comprehend the difference between
these two words:
comment | suggestion
LOL

But I hear you, yes, so here we go again:
what software do you guys here use for data backup and
synchronization?

I would only like to hear your experiences and suggestions, that's
all.

It that too much for you, Joep?

kind regards
:)

Previously Ann Onimus <Ann@onimus.net> wrote:
> Hey

> Any suggestions on the subject?

Maybe give us a setting, OS, willingness to spend money, etc.?

Arno

> I would only like to hear your experiences and suggestions, that's
> all.
>
> It that too much for you, Joep?
>
> kind regards
> :)

Real men don't do backups!

--
Joep

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> shared:

>Maybe give us a setting, OS, willingness to spend money, etc.?

Yep:
- win 2K pro is the OS in question
- money within reason
- I am on one 180GB HD, several partitions
- slave HD via rack <-- backup hdd
- will be needing network (not just LAN) synch as well (via FTP or/and
FTP with SSL)

I run a search on the net, yes, now I'd love to hear some experiences
+ feedback on this kind of software...

tnx 4 your time :)

Previously Ann Onimus <Ann@onimus.net> wrote:
> Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> shared:

>>Maybe give us a setting, OS, willingness to spend money, etc.?

> Yep:
> - win 2K pro is the OS in question
> - money within reason
> - I am on one 180GB HD, several partitions
> - slave HD via rack <-- backup hdd
> - will be needing network (not just LAN) synch as well (via FTP or/and
> FTP with SSL)

O.K., the classical solution for syncing is "rsync". If you get it
to work it is reportedly very reliable and able to deal with
large sets of files. I think it also runs under Windows. Homepage
is here:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

> I run a search on the net, yes, now I'd love to hear some experiences
> + feedback on this kind of software...

I do something different, but allmost all my critical stuff is
text-files. For them I just use a CVS server and put all the
stuff I work into CVS. That way I can work in multiple places.

This approach does work badly if you have many binary files or
large files with large changes all the time. It also requires
a CVS server somewhere.

Arno

I used the Backup program in Win2000 (Microsoft Backup) and after I restored some files to check later, I
found out they were the old files. Way to go Bill.

I'm backing up text, audio, video and photographs. I want something that will only delete and replace
what has been changed. I'm usually backing up several gigs of data so if something can run in the
background using less resources then normal that would be a big plus. I'm using W2k Pro, and 2 IDE hard
drives in a home system. Later the backup drive will be on a hot swappable Firewire system.

I use Acronis True Image8. I creates a complete image of my disk every
Sat AM, then incrementally during the week. It erases itself on
Saturday as it re-writes onto my removable drive....

Frank W. wrote:

>I used the Backup program in Win2000 (Microsoft Backup) and after I restored some files to check later, I
>found out they were the old files. Way to go Bill.
>
>I'm backing up text, audio, video and photographs. I want something that will only delete and replace
>what has been changed. I'm usually backing up several gigs of data so if something can run in the
>background using less resources then normal that would be a big plus. I'm using W2k Pro, and 2 IDE hard
>drives in a home system. Later the backup drive will be on a hot swappable Firewire system.

So it only replaces folders that have been modified? (I don't want it to touch something that it doesn't
need to.)

> I use Acronis True Image8. I creates a complete image of my disk every
> Sat AM, then incrementally during the week. It erases itself on
> Saturday as it re-writes onto my removable drive....
>
> >I used the Backup program in Win2000 (Microsoft Backup) and after I restored some files to check
later, I
> >found out they were the old files. Way to go Bill.
> >
> >I'm backing up text, audio, video and photographs. I want something that will only delete and replace
> >what has been changed. I'm usually backing up several gigs of data so if something can run in the
> >background using less resources then normal that would be a big plus. I'm using W2k Pro, and 2 IDE
hard
> >drives in a home system. Later the backup drive will be on a hot swappable Firewire system.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:35:58 -0600, "Frank W."
<reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote:

>So it only replaces folders that have been modified? (I don't want it to touch something that it doesn't
>need to.)

True Image only backs up changed files with the incrementals, and it
backs up everything on the full backups. The files are in the Acronis
..tib format, and you need to use True Image to recover them. If you
interrupt a full backup for whatever reason, your backup image is
gone, and the incrementals won't run until a full backup is completed
successfully. Interrupting an incremental will leave previous backups
intact.

If you want something that just checks certain files/folders and
copies to the latest version, Second Copy from www.centered.com is
very good at this. It's for file backup, rather than partition
backup, so it only copies what you tell it to, and keeps them as
separate files, rather than placing them in containers like the .tib
files.

It will also keep multiple levels of archives, so you can have it keep
the last X versions of a file if you want (up to 25, I think). It can
run once a minute to once a week or less. It won't back up open
files, and it checks the time/date stamp or archive bit to decide what
to back up, but if those work for you, it's very fast and effective.

I find it the best bet for backing up specific files or directories
where you don't care about the entire partition.

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> shared:

>O.K., the classical solution for syncing is "rsync". If you get it
>to work it is reportedly very reliable and able to deal with
>large sets of files. I think it also runs under Windows. Homepage
>is here:
>
> http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Tnx.
I think it does not run under NTFS.

>I do something different, but allmost all my critical stuff is
>text-files. For them I just use a CVS server and put all the
>stuff I work into CVS. That way I can work in multiple places.
>
>This approach does work badly if you have many binary files or
>large files with large changes all the time. It also requires
>a CVS server somewhere.

good choice, but...
....what if server goes south?

Previously Ann Onimus <Ann@onimus.net> wrote:
> Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> shared:

>>O.K., the classical solution for syncing is "rsync". If you get it
>>to work it is reportedly very reliable and able to deal with
>>large sets of files. I think it also runs under Windows. Homepage
>>is here:
>>
>> http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

> Tnx.
> I think it does not run under NTFS.

>>I do something different, but allmost all my critical stuff is
>>text-files. For them I just use a CVS server and put all the
>>stuff I work into CVS. That way I can work in multiple places.
>>
>>This approach does work badly if you have many binary files or
>>large files with large changes all the time. It also requires
>>a CVS server somewhere.

> good choice, but...
> ...what if server goes south?

For that you have checked out versions of everything in several
places. You can just make a new server and check the stuff back
in. Alternatively you have a regular backup of the server.

Arno