Data error cyclic redundancy check

medeiom

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I have this same error when I'm using an external disk. I tried to initialize it but it fails after choosing MBR. I get data error cyclic redundancy check message.

Strange thing is I can load an OS on it and it runs fine (XP), but when I try to use it as an external drive, it fails. The external enclosure is brand new and I can rule that out as it works with others.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

RealBeast

Titan
Ah, I see! If you can see the drive in disk management, perhaps you can unpartition it and then re-partition and reformat, or at least assign a new drive letter and reformat.

If DM doesn't work then you can use the command prompt window and run diskpart: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

With diskpart if you are in the command prompt window type:

diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the disk you want to format)
delete partition

Then you can either format with diskpart or the disk management of Windows.

if its having issues perhaps do the correct job and TEST the drive with something like:

HDTune
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (free, works on all drive makes etc)

verify the hdd is ok rather then just try to patch up the partition

TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST

medeiom

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I do see the HD as an external drive under disk management with a red exclamation mark, but unfortunately options are grayed out. The only option available is the Initialize disk which gives me the cyclic redundancy error. I will try the chkdsk first and the WD diagnostic tool which I am familiar with.

Thanks all!

medeiom

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm running out of ideas. I have run chkdsk, WD diagnostic tools, Parted Magic and they all stated the drive was healthy with no issues or errors.

Again, this drive had XP running on it with no issues. I then formatted the drive to Fat32. But when I place it into an external enclosure, Windows 7 detects a disk under Disk Management but I am unable to Initialize or do anything else to it. Now I am receiving an I/O error.

Thanks again for any feedback or ideas.

RealBeast

Titan
Why FAT32, will it be on PCs and Macs? Otherwise, I would re-attach it and format it NTFS, run disk check and WD diagnostics, and then re-install in the external case and see if it will work. I would suspect the external case if it re-formats and works fine until you place it in the case.

medeiom

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

It was originally formatted in NTFS, so I then formatted to Fat32. I wiped the disk clean using DBAN and then format to NTFS, but to no avail.

But then I decided to change the controller card from the disk using a same revision controller card from a different WD HD. Bingo!! It's a bad controller card. :bounce:

Thanks for all your ideas and help.