[SOLVED] Data loss??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
So ive been trying to help a employee here get his computer back up and running, it has optane and a 256gb ssd in it, i suspected the optane is bad because it wont boot up anymore. I pulled it disabled raid and now i can at least see the drive in my usb drive os. My question here is it has a bitlocker on it, if i delete the rest of the windows partition on that drive and plug it into another computer, can i access the files and such on that computer? I need to get his files back and it wont allow me to reinstall a fresh copy of windows because im using a install media tool. Im concerned that the bitlocker on the drive will only work with the one computer and that i wont be able to access the files even if i put it into a different computer with the windows files off of it(that way the computer doesnt try to boot off the other drive). I just need to figure out how i can get his data back weather its on the computer its currently in or his other older one. thanks!!

Solution
Ive got a partition tool that can clone drives. The reason im even trying this is because the "Professionals" said their not going to waste their time with it so im just trying to see if theirs any way i can access it. When i try to even unlock it from another computer that has windows and it says theirs no code so i cant unlock it. I cant even get into an interface to add a code to unlock it.
Ive got a partition tool that can clone drives. The reason im even trying this is because the "Professionals" said their not going to waste their time with it so im just trying to see if theirs any way i can access it. When i try to even unlock it from another computer that has windows and it says theirs no code so i cant unlock it. I...

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Optane + SSD = a pseudo RAID 0. Break it apart, and poof, gone.
Strike 1.

BitLocker. No recovery key, poof gone.
Strike 2.

No real backup. Why not?
Strike 3.

The other network administrator never saved the codes or knew how to backup things. Im wondering if i can clone the data to a different hard drive if it would work. It never hurts to try. as for the raid whats the issue there? the optane drive is dead, i tested it the other day and it somehow fried itself.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Cloning a drive that's not accessible to another drive won't do anything but give you 2 identical unaccessible drives. I think you need to give this up to a professional before you mess up any sliver of hope that there is on accessing the data.

Ive got a partition tool that can clone drives. The reason im even trying this is because the "Professionals" said their not going to waste their time with it so im just trying to see if theirs any way i can access it. When i try to even unlock it from another computer that has windows and it says theirs no code so i cant unlock it. I cant even get into an interface to add a code to unlock it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You're so far beyond the point where having a partition tool is going to solve the situation. It's either a professional or nothing. And it's likely nothing either way, but only someone highly experienced with complicated data recovery has even a chance of success; for the right price, any professional will find it worth their time.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
You're so far beyond the point where having a partition tool is going to solve the situation. It's either a professional or nothing. And it's likely nothing either way, but only someone highly experienced with complicated data recovery has even a chance of success; for the right price, any professional will find it worth their time.
Yeah the guys here just want to wipe it and restart. I offered to take some time to look and see if their was any possible way to access the data again. they dont want to spend the money to get the data back but they said if you can find some other way go ahead. Ill just tell them its not worth the time and to just wipe it and reinstall windows and start over.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
My experimentation with Hasleo and Windows BitLocker has so far been just a beginning. Before starting the encryption process, I made sure to have restorable full image backups in the small safe. Then, during the process, I had it make and save both a recovery key and a password[?] key.

The other network administrator never saved the codes or knew how to backup things. Im wondering if i can clone the data to a different hard drive if it would work. It never hurts to try. as for the raid whats the issue there? the optane drive is dead, i tested it the other day and it somehow fried itself.
For starters you would have to make an exact bit for bit copy of the drive, otherwise you've got nothing to even play with. Second, without either the primary or backup key there is no way you will ever recover a bitlockered volume, if there were then it wouldn't be secure. If, however, you're still set on trying, then keep in mind that the input routine only accepts one key per second, and you're looking at trying several 100's of millions of keys. Do the math.......

USAFRet

Titan
The whole reason for BitLocker being a thing is "unbreakable".
Without the decryption key, or maybe the original TPM module, it is gone. You cannot get that data out.
Gone, as in the great grandchildren of everyone reading this will be long dead.

As far as the Optane + HDD and RAID 0...all depends on how it was set up.
If the Optane was just a cache, then the data on the drive is OK. Still encrypted and gone, but OK.
If it was some sort of actual RAID 0...losing one member of a RAID 0, and all data is lost, even with no encryption.

I see the word employee, and that implies a company. With "network admininstrators". And they have a boss.
Someone's boss needs to be fired.

Reactions: SamirD
Status
Not open for further replies.