Question data port on APC UPS?

JoeZorzin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
I've owned many APC UPS over the years. Until recently many had what they described as a "USB data port". Your computer could be connected to it- so the company's software (PowerChute) could communicate with the UPS and, importantly, shut it off during an outage after a designated time. The newer ones don't seem to have a designated USB data port- but they do have standard USB ports. I keep trying to get an answer as to what's going on here- so far no luck. Then it dawned on my that maybe those USB ports are the same and can be used as a data port. Is that a sensible conclusion?

kanewolf

Titan
I've owned many APC UPS over the years. Until recently many had what they described as a "USB data port". Your computer could be connected to it- so the company's software (PowerChute) could communicate with the UPS and, importantly, shut it off during an outage after a designated time. The newer ones don't seem to have a designated USB data port- but they do have standard USB ports. I keep trying to get an answer as to what's going on here- so far no luck. Then it dawned on my that maybe those USB ports are the same and can be used as a data port. Is that a sensible conclusion?
Depends on the model. The commercial quality units have a slot for an ethernet port. All my UPS units (4 of them) are on ethernet.