Question Data recovery from dead external hard drive costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
SO I am trying to shop around to see who can give me a better deal on a data recovery from a dead external hard drive. To confirm it is very dead and old, so old that terabit wasn't even a word. Geek squad quoted me for $500 andone know of a service that can do it cheaper?

Reactions: SebastienKrollem11

USAFRet

Titan
SO I am trying to shop around to see who can give me a better deal on a data recovery from a dead external hard drive. To confirm it is very dead and old, so old that terabit wasn't even a word. Geek squad quoted me for $500 andone know of a service that can do it cheaper?
Do you want it right or do you want it cheap?

Is there any life changing data on this old drive?

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd be suspicious of the quality of a full service that charged only $500.

Plus, I'd be suspicious of GeekSquad anyway.

Unfortunately, the low cost way to recover data -- keeping a proper backup -- is no longer available. You're going to have to choose whether the data or the money are more important for you.

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Exactly.
If there is nothing absolutely critical, let it go.

A "cheap" recovery service you pay for uses the same software you can obtain for free.
Does it spin up?
Is it recognized in whatever version of Windows you're using?

If so, Autopsy.
If not, fridge magnet donor.
Can't be recognized so I guess very dead.

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Exactly.
If there is nothing absolutely critical, let it go.

A "cheap" recovery service you pay for uses the same software you can obtain for free.
Does it spin up?
Is it recognized in whatever version of Windows you're using?

If so, Autopsy.
If not, fridge magnet donor.
It make repeating buzzing noise like it is trying to spin up.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Maybe a stuck spindle.
With it powered OFF, give it a light tap or two.
I agree with this, beyond that the cheapest method would be finding another drive like it and swapping platters but that requires some precision and keeping a very very clean area, even though most wouldn’t recommend this method it is possible to do but you really need to know what your doing and expect that there is a very high chance of failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS