[SOLVED] Data recovery gone wrong

georouv

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
Hello guys, i have a very complicated issue over here. As i understand i made multiple mistakes.

I had a hdd 3TB which was 90% full of useful data which i accidentally formatted and everything was deleted. After i formatted it i tried some data recovery programs to restore all of this data i lost, i restored them in the same hdd that i found them, but they had weird names like file001,file002 etc and i couldnt not open them,so i deleted them again manually.

I just want to know if there is any hope in any possible way i can restore my data ,even with an super expensive paid data recovery service in a shop specialized in these problems?

Solution
Mistake #1
i accidentally formatted
It has happened to all of us. Which is why we stress the whole backup thing.

Mistake #2
i restored them in the same hdd that i found them
This literally overwrote any remaining whole files. They are gone gone gone, as far as files you can actually use.

Mistake #3
so i deleted them again manually
Further compounding the problem.

Mistake #0 - Not having a good backup.
Mistakes happen. Drives die. But an accident like this should never involve data loss.

You're not getting that back, and especially not the whole thing in its original condition and layout.
No matter how much money...
anything that was actually written over is just plain gone, I'm sorry to say....; however, no one can know just how much was written over until searching for what remains...

If you get a second drive for the destination/ recovered data to be written to, you can then try a Recuva scan on it...

Depending on importance of data, perhaps check with 300 dollar recovery, etc...
https://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/

Call or email them, explaining what happened....

I'd try 'recuva' first, personally....

Simple file names like file001, file002 etc are usually assigned to files which are incomplete/damaged/corrupted and therefore quite useless.

As regards making mistakes, your biggest one was in not keeping a backup of the data you are now struggling to retrieve. I've been there myself, learned the hard way, so I can empathize with your predicament.

USAFRet

Titan
Mistake #1
i accidentally formatted
It has happened to all of us. Which is why we stress the whole backup thing.

Mistake #2
i restored them in the same hdd that i found them
This literally overwrote any remaining whole files. They are gone gone gone, as far as files you can actually use.

Mistake #3
so i deleted them again manually
Further compounding the problem.

Mistake #0 - Not having a good backup.
Mistakes happen. Drives die. But an accident like this should never involve data loss.

You're not getting that back, and especially not the whole thing in its original condition and layout.
No matter how much money you throw at it, that data no longer exists.

Solution