Data recovery

seanvanvoct

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hello,
Just had my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop HDD replaced by Dell. They returned my old HDD (original only 6 months old!!) for me to transfer the data to the new one and return it to them in 10 days. My question is: How do you transfer data from a defunct disk to the installed new one.I only have one HDD.
Thanks

What do you mean by defunct? Is the drive physically damaged, or is something just corrupt on it? If it is just corrupt we can help recover as much as possible. If the drive is physically dead there isn't much that can be done (reasonably).

seanvanvoct

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Unfortunately couldnt boot from either the old drive, nor from the cd/dvd drive, so while your suggestion would normally be plausible, I don't want to go back to the old response "BOOTMGR IS MISSING. PRESS CTL ALT DEL". Thanks anyway.

seanvanvoct

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Probably used the wrong grammatical expression since IT, obviously, is not my forte. Which leads to a final question- how in hades can you tell? Dell is no help in this regard.

OK, so I assume since they gave you back your old drive, it might still work.

Two options I see are to take it somewhere for data recovery (however I have never done this so I don't know where to go or how much it would cost). Or to buy an external USB enclosure for it. Then use a program like the free trial of http://www.stellarinfo.com/ to recover your data.

seanvanvoct

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Not too keen on Wiki - found it too pompous and difficult to follow. However, will give it a shot,
Heat. Invisible so can't tell - no outward signs.
drop. No, for sure.
etc. Was accessing Dell;s backup program but didn,t use it.

That article is ok. I just meant to skim some of it to see what could be involved. However, if there was not physical damage and just a corruption of the boot sector occurred, recovery is easy presuming you can get it hooked up to a computer.

seanvanvoct

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Read the wiki article - pretty good background.

The position now is that Dell replaced both the HDD and the cd/dvd. Don't know why,after enabling access to the latter, they didn't boot from it and repair the HDD (presuming it was repairable). How does the following strike you as a possible repair?

1. Remove the new HDD
2.Reinstall the old HDD
3. Boot from the cd/dvd.
4. Try a repair from the original OS disk (if it has repair facilities like my XP)

Thanks again

igennie7

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello friends,
Hope well!!

Here, i have read the issue but really not getting proper issue. But hope, the guy who carry the issue, have data recovery issue. First, you make sure about "seanvanvoct" advice.

"""""""""1. Remove the new HDD
2.Reinstall the old HDD
3. Boot from the cd/dvd.
4. Try a repair from the original OS disk (if it has repair facilities like my XP) """"

It is the well advice to overcome your issue. After following the above steps, your issue did't resolve. Then, you may go for online technical support http://technical-support.igennie.net