Data sharing Server Suggestions?

maxmax18max

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
My mom wanted me to make a server for us to share data, like pictures, pdfs etc. between our 7 active computers. I already built a gaming computer, but i don't know what is needed to make a good server. we'll need at least 4x1tb drives. i just don't know if i can skimp of certain parts that don't really contribute to it's serving abilities. It can't be more than like $650-$700

thanks!

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
If your just going to be sharing between computers inside a network go with a nas. Its just a simple box with 1 or 2 harddrives in it (Im sure they make bigger). plug it in your router and all your computer will have access to it.

If your looking for something with raid capabilities, then a raid enclosure is what you want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111172
Hook this up to your computer and use it as an external hdd and share it with your other computers. I'm assuming that with 4x1tb hdds you want something like raid5?

If you get the raid enclosure you could build a super cheap desktop (im talking like $200) that will run linux all day and act as your private server.