[SOLVED] Data transfer speed external HDD to new Internal HDD

Sep 27, 2020
Hi all,
I'm looking for the fastest way to transfer 1.3TB of data from an external drive (USB 3) to a new replacement internal drive. The last time I had to do this, it took just about 12 hours. I would be interested in knowing whether there a quicker way.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thanks for the suggestion. but with my skill level, that would be a recipe for disaster.

One question though, If I can physically install the new HDD without removing the old, can I just do a HDD to HDD, and would that be quicker than back loading the external drive to the new one?
How often are you doing this?
If it is a one time thing, just do it via the current external drive.

If you had started when you asked the question, it would have been finished long ago.

If this is going to be a repeated process, then some other configuration might be in order.

But there is no real magic to get 1.3TB to and from a USB connected drive, especially if it is a lot of small files.
It takes as long as it takes.
Hi all,
I'm looking for the fastest way to transfer 1.3TB of data from an external drive (USB 3) to a new replacement internal drive. The last time I had to do this, it took just about 12 hours. I would be interested in knowing whether there a quicker way.
Thanks in advance.
Doubt you can do it in another way.
The only way, you can diassembly the HDD case, take out the HDD and connect it to the Mboard. Will be much better than using USB, and of course it's not recommended because you can broke the HDD case.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sep 27, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion. but with my skill level, that would be a recipe for disaster.

One question though, If I can physically install the new HDD without removing the old, can I just do a HDD to HDD, and would that be quicker than back loading the external drive to the new one?

USAFRet

Titan

How often are you doing this?
If it is a one time thing, just do it via the current external drive.

If you had started when you asked the question, it would have been finished long ago.

If this is going to be a repeated process, then some other configuration might be in order.

But there is no real magic to get 1.3TB to and from a USB connected drive, especially if it is a lot of small files.
It takes as long as it takes.

Solution