[SOLVED] Data transfer speed variance

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
As a senior, non-techie, I've come across varying speed ratings of components in my home ethernet LAN. While working on my network router I noticed that in the specs it gives it a max rating of 1GB transfer speed. My home network is a simple 2-PC setup, yet I've never felt that I'm seeing fast transfer of files from computer-to-computer. I've upgraded my old HP Compac 8100 Elite to use USB-3 ports ( a diy project). I've checked my network adapter and it has current drivers, but it specs show only 100Mbs speed. My ISP service is at 60Mbs. So, what speed should this network have? Are there settings to check, components that need replacing or upgraded? If so, how exactly would a computer novice go about getting the maximum performance from my network? I would really appreciate some advice and guidance.

Solution
You could try skipping any additional switches/home routers entirely and connecting straight to the ISP- provided router, and see if that shows higher speeds...or, try another ethernet cable...; or are you saying you are using USB-ethernet adapters? (Little 5 port 1 GbE switches are about $29 these days, if you have a normal GbE wired connection you can use, that is preferable...)

Granted, if your ISP is limited to 60 Mbps, higher speeds from the PC/laptop to the switch before that are of little consequence anyway...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include make and model router.

What is printed on the Ethernet cables connecting the router to each of the two PCs?

In your network adaption configuration settings ensure that the Speed and Duplex option is set to "Auto Negotiation".

How did you set up and configure that DIY USB-3 option? Are you using, for example, some sort of USB to Ethernet adapter? More information needed.

For the most part some USB connections should not be needed for PC to PC file transfers - that can be done via the network.

We may need to learn more about the network and its' current configuration settings.

Are your computer's running Windows 10? Are you familiar with the Command Prompt and/or even Powershell?

There are some simple commands that will help provide such information.

You could try skipping any additional switches/home routers entirely and connecting straight to the ISP- provided router, and see if that shows higher speeds...or, try another ethernet cable...; or are you saying you are using USB-ethernet adapters? (Little 5 port 1 GbE switches are about $29 these days, if you have a normal GbE wired connection you can use, that is preferable...)

Granted, if your ISP is limited to 60 Mbps, higher speeds from the PC/laptop to the switch before that are of little consequence anyway...

Solution

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks, Ralson18/Titan. My home router is Netgear WNDR3700v1.

Network adapter Speed and Duplex are set on AUTO.

I did the diy USB-3 install some time ago by adding a USB 3 card. I don't remember doing any configuration.

I'm only using the USB to connect USB devices/hub. I transfer files using Windows Explorer for drive-to-drive on my PC and use a Remote Desktop program to get files from PC1 to PC2.

I can handle cmd commands (though I don't understand them) if you will kindly instruct me how to get you any information you may need.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks, mdd1963/Polypheme. I'm not using my ISP's router. I scrapped it and got a Netgear WNDR3700v1. I run ethernet CAT5e cable directly to both PCs on the network...no USB-ethernet adapters (don't know what they are for). I'm going to switch out some of the cables to see if the router and PC at least rate out the same.

TRENDING THREADS