daul booting

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one word in my opinion:
lilo

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

G

LILO is a pretty good boot loader, though I think it runs into problems if you are trying to boot from a partition past the 1024th cylinder - this may be fixed in the current version though.

LOADLIN is also a good boot loader, and doesn't have any partition location restrictions.
I've both of these and they were both very easy to setup.

zPacKRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you don't want to screw up your mbr use system commander.
that way if you wanna uninstall linux u can with out messin up you winblows.
have fun and frag your ass off.

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Concerning the 1024 cylinder problem, that is no longer a limit for LiLo version 21.2 and higher. The current release of LiLo is 21.6
Here is the proof:
<A HREF="http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo/lilo-21.6.announce.txt" target="_new">Announce for 21.6</A>

If you have not installed linux yet and dont know what version of LiLo you have, just look in the RPMS directory on your CD, the version number is on the filename. I suppose you search in the debs directory for debain based distros?

PS. Version 21.6! wont find that kind of attention to windows software

G

LILO rules, at least for dual booting Win98 and Linux. If you ever need to remove LILO from your Master Boot Record, it's a cinch. Just boot into/shut down to ms-dos mode, then insert a floppy with Win 9x's version of fdisk.exe on it. At the A:\ prompt, type "fdisk /mbr", and hit "Enter." In a second LILO is gone, and MS rules your MBR again.

G

Thanks. I wasn't sure about that. Is that version the one that comes with RedHat 7?

G

> if you don't want to screw up your mbr use system commander.

Or for a free solution, LOADLIN. Since it runs from DOS, you never have to touch your MBR with linux.

G

I've used Partition Magic for years. It comes with BootMagic.
Makes installing Linux trivial since you can prepare all the partitions in advance. Also easy to resize partitons after. Great program, but definately not free.