[SOLVED] DAW/Gaming PC - Turn GPU off on one OS but fans are getting loud ?

Feb 1, 2022
Hey there,

My situation:
I have a PC loaded with 2 SSDs and 2 GPUs.
1st SSD is the OS (WIN11) for DAW use
2nd SSD is another OS (WIN11) for occasional gaming and other stuff.
This way, both systems are separated from one another and when working I boot from the 1st SSD and for everything else, I choose the 2nd SSD.

1st GPU is a GT1030 which is used for DAW use and works like a charm as it does not interfere with the drivers of my external audio interface.
2nd GPU is a Radeon RX 590 which I use for gaming and other stuff, but cannot be used when working, as it causes audio drop outs when recording or editing in my DAW, so I had to disable it in the device manager, which solved the issue.

So far so good.
Only thing is, after the RX590 is disabled in the dev manager, instead of it being switched off, its fans start to rotate at their max speed. I guess its because the driver cannot access to the GPU anymore and it goes on "autopilot"? This will probably not only lessen the lifetime of the GPU (as I work 40+ hours a week on my DAW OS), but it is also relatively loud in my studio environment.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this?
I could always disable and reenable the RX590 in the BIOS, when switching between both OS', but I am looking for a more practical solution, as it is a workflow killer when having to check this everytime I boot up my PC.

Cheers!

PC:

Win11
I7-8700K
16GB RAM
GT 1030
RX 590

Solution
Maybe can try software like MSI Afterburner to set fan speeds low? If it is still visible since disabled in device manager.
Then the GPU is disabled in DM, then there are no active drivers available to pass fan profile settings along.

Until the GPU is initialized, its fan controller defaults to maximum fan speed for safety (GPUs still draw 10-20W in uninitialized state) and when the GPU is disabled, that never gets overridden either.
Feb 1, 2022
Maybe it's a money issue, but why not make it easy on yourself and get a second pc?
Well, because buying another "high performance" PC just for gaming, if the only issues are the fans of its GPU when disabled, seems redundant and exaggerated to me (both economically and ecologically). Also they then would stand next to each other, cause there would be no other place to put it.

If there would be a way to turn off the GPU through the driver. Or in the BIOS when already logged into windows :unsure:

Feb 1, 2022
You really need the gt 1030? What if you take it out and run from the igp for the audio side of things? could set the igp as default in the bios, see how that works out.

Yep, really need it cause the internal graphics begin to lag when using the IGP on the 4k screen.

InvalidError

Titan
Maybe can try software like MSI Afterburner to set fan speeds low? If it is still visible since disabled in device manager.
Then the GPU is disabled in DM, then there are no active drivers available to pass fan profile settings along.

Until the GPU is initialized, its fan controller defaults to maximum fan speed for safety (GPUs still draw 10-20W in uninitialized state) and when the GPU is disabled, that never gets overridden either.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That just means he's out of luck with the way he wants to do things.