DayZ Creator Hopes to Bring Game to Consoles and Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
While PC gamers aren't necessarily a niche market (I am a dedicated one myself), I'm wondering if DayZ hasn't hit massive popularity because it's not on consoles.

Since DayZ is based on ArmA II, I can imagine how demanding the game is on the hardware (own ArmA II, brother plays DayZ). Unless you have a decent PC with a very solid quad core CPU and at least a midrange GPU, you're not going to see very good detail in ArmA II/DayZ. This is why people resorted to consoles - you can get a ton of decent looking games without having to shell out $500+ on a PC.

Unfortunately, this has caused the entire market to shift to selling consoles and producing primarily console games. It's games like DayZ that keep me (and probably others) tied to PC gaming - we'll get the console games like everyone else, but we'll also get gems like this.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Better not be ported to xbox 360 or ps3 - the game looks amazing on good hardware - which doesn't include either one of the consoles. If it is to be a port, I pray that it doesn't happen until the 720/ps4 are released next year.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]Better not be ported to xbox 360 or ps3 - the game looks amazing on good hardware - which doesn't include either one of the consoles. If it is to be a port, I pray that it doesn't happen until the 720/ps4 are released next year.[/citation]
I dont see the problem with console games being port FROM the PC.. My gripe is with titles that are ported TO the PC from consoles..

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]But not Linux... sigh[/citation]
So why doesn't the Linux community come together to try and make it easier for developers to make their games work with Linux? Why can't the community agree on where to put libraries rather than throwing them in /usr/share, /usr/lib, /usr/local, or whatever other random place with symlinks everywhere. Why doesn't the Linux community improve documentation for the latest OpenGL instead of having the documentation point back to decade-old practices that are considered terrible by today's standards? Why hate on Nvidia for insisting on closed source drivers? Let's stop blaming the developers choosing not to support Linux and see how the Linux community can work better to invite them in. Developing a big complicated game for Linux is no easy task especially when many cross-platform engines are feature-limited under Linux due to missing or misplaced dependencies.

I really want to see the Linux community try to solve this problem rather than continuing to punt it to the same developers they complain aren't supporting their system.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]While PC gamers aren't necessarily a niche market (I am a dedicated one myself), I'm wondering if DayZ hasn't hit massive popularity because it's not on consoles. Since DayZ is based on ArmA II, I can imagine how demanding the game is on the hardware (own ArmA II, brother plays DayZ). Unless you have a decent PC with a very solid quad core CPU and at least a midrange GPU, you're not going to see very good detail in ArmA II/DayZ. This is why people resorted to consoles - you can get a ton of decent looking games without having to shell out $500+ on a PC. Unfortunately, this has caused the entire market to shift to selling consoles and producing primarily console games. It's games like DayZ that keep me (and probably others) tied to PC gaming - we'll get the console games like everyone else, but we'll also get gems like this.[/citation]
What are you talking about? My dual-core processor, accompanied by my AMD Radeon 6850 provides me with a delightful, smooth experience with DayZ. On top of that, I play on a 32" HDTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.