iai29081

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I'm selling my SSD/ ocz vertex 60gb tomorrow and need to erase it, what program should I use? I've used DBAN loads of times on my hdd's but does it work for a ssd?

Sorry for the late post. But back to the original OP question.

Can you use DBaN on a SSD? :bounce:

He had a OCZ SSD, which Sanitary Erase is for.

But what about an Intel SSD (i.e X25-V 40GB), or any others for that matter. :sarcastic:

Can you use DBan for that? And I would want to use the "write 0's" option?

I tried HDDErase, but couldn't boot from a USB, like linked directions instructed. (I don't have a floppy.)

I think I need to burn a Windows XP Boot disk, so I can use all "these" DOS based programs....but that's off topic.
:pt1cable:

P.S. Currentlty running "Secure Erase" on an old machine I'm going to sell. Formatted as floppy (on my Dell) w/MS-DOS start up files, and copied HDDErase. Currently running, I think, no progress screen like DBaN. I don't want to turn it off, as it will "lock" my hard drives? Again, off topic. BTW: I'll let you know how long it takes "being the fastest erase program." Erasing a 40GB and a 120GB HDD.

P.P.S Secure Erase (HDDERase v3.0?) didn't work. I believe its because my hard drives are on another (onboard) IDE controller (Promise Ultra ATA 100). But DBan does work (although slow), and I nuked 'em (took over 12 hours)! I give up on Secure Erase.