Dban screen of dots

docjfox

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Booted Dban from USB-HDD. Got the usual opening page and clicked enter. Immediately the screen filled with white dots on blue screen. The bottom left of the page has the cursor and the last line seems to be moving quickly. Is this a "normal" situation and I just wait? Has anyone had the dots end...ever? Do I pull the hard drive before recycling the laptop?

1 notebook win10, 1 Vista Home same condition for both.

It is always adviseable to remove all hard drives before parting company of a PC. They're useful backup storage drives and the connecting gear is quite cheap.

Then keep them in the fireproof strongbox where you (should) store the fire insurance paperwork and you have a reliable backup.

The dots may be indicative of the DBan programme still running but if you're removing the hard drives, it matters not if you just pull the plug from the wall to turn it off.

I always cut dead hard drives into three pieces using my angle grinder. That way it reduces the likelihood of being get picked out at the junk tip and sent to Africa where some poor soul gets to sit over a hot wok, breathing toxic fumes while they melt and separate the metals for reuse.

docjfox

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

I'm not sure I am going to remove the HD. Just concerned about the dots and a running program. Thanks for the reply..