DC jack output to mainboard on vaio laptop

ColMustache

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Today when I woke up the charger pin was so hot that it had melted the rubber end, so I finally got a spare DC jack and cable to replace it, since its not soldered to the motherboard.

http://imgur.com/PD0P4Ka

The only one I could get is a simple DC to motherboard, meaning 2 red and 2 black cables, like the one in the picture above and this laptop uses one similar to the other but instead of 2 extra black cables uses 3.

Are those extra black cables regular grounds (negatives)?

They're screwed to the motherboard on different places. Can I somehow just splice those 3 to the 2 that the spare cable has?

Solution
Hi, they should be ground also, if you can measure the continuity with a multimeter, you will know right away if they are connected together. What is the model you have?

ColMustache

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Hey, the model is VAIO SVE14117FLB and the replacement part seems to be PJ 093, but it will take weeks to arrive and cant afford to stop working (student) in the mean time, so I guess I'll split open the original cable just to be sure if all three are grounds.

ColMustache

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Like cut a small portion of the cover and splice the black cables together? Im kinda scared to fiddle with it but basically sounds simple..