DC's and Member servers in the same OU

"Clinton" <Clinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3CB580D0-F49B-4E57-BBD0-21F608239B05@microsoft.com...
> Is there any problem DC's and Member servers being in the same OU?

No, but DCs have never been very happy being outside
of the default DC OU.

Even putting them in a child OU (of the DC OU) seems
to make them quirky.

Putting member servers in there is probably not
very sensible but it won't hurt the Servers in
a general way -- but it might not BENEFIT from the
GPO(s) usually applied to DCs.

Recommendation: Don't do it even if it works.

--
Herb Martin

Clinton,

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Maybe we can help you get to
where you need to get.....

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Clinton" <Clinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any problem DC's and Member servers being in the same OU?

clinton

We are trying to apply similar security measures to DC's and member servers
using policies applied to the OU.

> We are trying to apply similar security measures to DC's and member
servers
> using policies applied to the OU.

Build the policy once (with the common settings)
and link it TWICE (unless the OUs are in a parent-child
relationship.)

It is perfectly legal to use a GPO for multiple disparate
OUs.

--
Herb Martin

"Clinton" <Clinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to apply similar security measures to DC's and member
servers
> using policies applied to the OU.
>
> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Clinton,
> >
> > What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Maybe we can help you get
> > where you need to get.....
> >
> > --
> > Cary W. Shultz
> > Roanoke, VA 24014
> > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
> >
> > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
> >

> > "Clinton" <Clinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there any problem DC's and Member servers being in the same OU?

I would recommend that you use two OUs - keeping the default Domain
Controllers OU and creating an OU and move all of the member servers to that
created OU.

Do you have the GPMC SP1 installed on a WINXP Pro system in your
environment? This might be a really good start for you. The GPMC can do a
lot of things for you.....

--

Clinton wrote:
> Is there any problem DC's and Member servers being in the same OU?
No

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl