[SOLVED] DDC Connecting help

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,
I bought a Thermaltake C360 soft tube cooling kit. It has a PR15 DDC pump made by Xylem. There are two cables. One which has a two wire molex connector on the end. The other has a small one wire connetor. There is nothing in the instructions about connection of these two connectors. I know the molex is for power and the other is for some type of signal. If I connect it to a molex and power supply the pump will run at 12vdc all the time. I'd like to be able to vary that through a case fan header. Can this be done? I would likely have to set the "fan" curve to never go below a certain voltage (speed) but maybe I could keep the pump running at say 50% when I am not inducing a bunch of heat. Also the signal cable. I do not know what this is for or where it is supposed to connect.
My system
Thermaltake View 71 TG ARGB
Intel i9-10850
Asus Maximus XII Hero
G.Skill Flare X 32 gb
Corsair MP600 1 TB M.2
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1050W Platinum
no video card yet.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Art

Solution
Do you have a link to the pump which might show the connectors? Or provide an image which shows them?

The 2 wire MOLEX is most certainly 12v power which would provide the pump power to run at 100% speed if used alone. (which isn't a bad thing, I would likely use it at 100%....why not?)

Depending on the other wire, it might be an RPM sensor wire, assuming it looks like a 3 or 4 pin PWM connector. If it is only a single wire, it likely is only for the tach readout, but would like to see what else. It could be PWM or DC control as well.

I wouldn't be afraid of using the pump at 100%. They are very well-built pumps and they are designed to run at 100%. The huge push to have 'everything PWM' has created a scenario where people are...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Do you have a link to the pump which might show the connectors? Or provide an image which shows them?

The 2 wire MOLEX is most certainly 12v power which would provide the pump power to run at 100% speed if used alone. (which isn't a bad thing, I would likely use it at 100%....why not?)

Depending on the other wire, it might be an RPM sensor wire, assuming it looks like a 3 or 4 pin PWM connector. If it is only a single wire, it likely is only for the tach readout, but would like to see what else. It could be PWM or DC control as well.

I wouldn't be afraid of using the pump at 100%. They are very well-built pumps and they are designed to run at 100%. The huge push to have 'everything PWM' has created a scenario where people are looking to have their pump speed managed rather than what really matters, the fan RPM on the radiators.

For pumps, there is often little reason to not get full performance from them at all times....what is the benefit of not doing so? They are whisper quiet and if they are not, you have other problems.

Solution

arthurrag

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I received a message back from Thermaltake which stated.
CS02 (Thermaltake Technology)

Sep 28, 2020, 12:19 PDT

1, The 4 pin should go directly into power supply, it does not go to an adapter.

2, The 3 pin should go into one of the AIO_Fan or CPU_pump.
Best Regards,
Thermaltake Customer Service

As you said the pump can run at 100%. I am leak checking the loop now. Had only one leak. The three pin (1 wire) must be as you say, either an rpm or speed sensor. I will connect it to the opt_cpu and see if there is any info in bios on it.
Still figuring it out. The there are 6 fans on the rad in a push pull config which go to a Thermaltake ARGB controller box along with power and a connection to USB. I have to wait until the system is up, download the software and investigate. I definitely want those fans and the three exhaust fans on the front to be controlled in relation to cpu temp. The three exhaust on the front are connected through the case fan board which came with the case. It also has power, and a mobo connector which I presently have on the addressable RGB header. As I said, once it up I will hopefully figure it all out.
It is discouraging that the manufacturer does not write and provide more explicit connection information and options if possible. They are making billions, they can afford it.
I tried to attach some pictures but cannot figure out how to do it.
Again, thanks for your assistance.

Art