[SOLVED] DDNS and VPN Service

danthemgman

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
I have a subscription to ExpressVPN. I have the VPN configured on my router, so that my entire home network is under the VPN.

ExpressVPN says on their website that my DNS queries may be vulnerable, and that I should configure my router with DDNS.

The research that I've done into this mentions "MediaStreamer" quite a bit. It also mentions that it is useful for devices that do not natively support a VPN.

In my router, I can set each device to one of three options:
  1. Router VPN
  2. No VPN
  3. MediaStreamer

I do not have any devices set to "MediaStreamer".

I have smart TVs set to "No VPN", because I have had issues with streaming services not liking the VPN.

Most of the my devices are set to "Router VPN".

If I setup DDNS on my router, how will it impact the devices on the network?

Should I configure DDNS, and then set the smart TVs to "MediaStreamer"?

Solution
I have a subscription to ExpressVPN. I have the VPN configured on my router, so that my entire home network is under the VPN.

ExpressVPN says on their website that my DNS queries may be vulnerable, and that I should configure my router with DDNS.

The research that I've done into this mentions "MediaStreamer" quite a bit. It also mentions that it is useful for devices that do not natively support a VPN.

1. Router VPN
  2. No VPN
  3. MediaStreamer

I have smart TVs set to "No VPN", because I have had issues with streaming services not liking the VPN.

If I setup DDNS on...

kanewolf

Titan

1. Router VPN
  2. No VPN
  3. MediaStreamer

If I setup DDNS on my router, how will it impact the devices on the network?

Should I configure DDNS, and then set the smart TVs to "MediaStreamer"?
Your DNS queries are outbound traffic. DDNS (dynamic DNS) is to allow other people to find your router for inbound traffic. They are unrelated items. Your network knows nothing about DDNS.
I don't know what you believe you are protecting by using a VPN, so I don't know if your DNS traffic being leaked is significant or not.

Solution