DDR Killer??

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
The XDR DRAM technology (formerly code-named Yellowstone) will transfer data at 3.2GHz initially, rising to 6.4GHz in the future--much faster than memory available now. In effect, that means XDR DRAM, which will be manufactured by partners Toshiba and Elpida, should ultimately be capable of transferring 100GB of data per second.

While XDR DRAM will likely face stiff resistance for acceptance in the PC market, it could find a home in consumer electronics and the communications industry, where memory based on Rambus' designs is used.

One of the early marquee devices to use the memory will likely be the next version of Sony's PlayStation. The Japanese giant has said it will couple XDR DRAM in the games consoles with the forthcoming Cell processor. Cell, a joint project between IBM, Sony and Toshiba, is expected to be used in the PlayStation 3.

Manufacturers Toshiba and Elpida stated that they expect to begin shipping XDR DRAM in 2004, with volume production coming in 2005.

Los Altos, Calif.-based Rambus designs chip interfaces, the portals that let chips connect to each other. The company designed RDRAM, a form of computer memory with a high-speed interface. While heavily touted, RDRAM proved to be expensive and unpopular. Even though RDRAM is faster than other types of memory on the market, few PCs come with it. Instead, PC makers and customers have opted for double data rate (DDR) DRAM.

Article From CNET.com

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I hate to burst your bubble. :frown:

Rambus has stated that Yellowstone will not be used in main memory systems.

As for MRAM and all of the other non-vol's... I think that they have the best potential. I also like all of the enhanced memory architectures that have SRAM registers in the Rows.

If the SRAM derivatives can become more cost effective they would kick butt. QDRSRAM rocks. It would be too expensive.

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Gaming the THG way... THG sponsors the MML2: June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>

qquizz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Where did you see that Rambus will not be used in Main Memory Systems. Are you referring to RAM in PC's?

...patiently waiting for 10Ghz processors and immersible virtual reality.

G

Old news. We discussed this on the main CPU forum a couple years ago. You might dig up the old debate it is quite a read. The yellowstone mem looks to offer incredible performance, but alas the world hates Rambus even if it is better. I'm afraid to say, and a little disapointed too that the naysayers here are most likely correct in their assertions that this will never see the light of day in a PC main memory subsystem. Too much resistance from the lemmings to try and develop something like that now, not to mention that creepy technology licensing thing Rambus ties manufacturers to.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I don't know about that anymore. All of the links I used to have are now all broken. I know that they changed the name to it's formal name.

Here is what they have posted on their site now.

"The XDR solution was engineered to be effective in small high-bandwidth consumer systems as well as in high-performance main memory applications.

This interface standard is implemented on standard CMOS DRAM memory cores and CMOS CPU or controller chips for applications such as high-performance main memory, PC graphics, game consoles, high-performance networking systems, and other demanding applications requiring high bandwidths from a memory component

The XDR memory solution provides a total system solution to many of the complex issues and problems that engineers face in designing cost effective, high-performance memory subsystems."

So I guess that they are looking at main system applications now.(PC RAM) At first it was all subsystem applications and graphics devices.

Admission to MML2 $45
Gas $100
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bum_jcrules/WhoOwnsYou.html" target="_new"><b>Taking this picture of <font color=red>dstell</font color=red> in his sleep! - <font color=green>Priceless</font color=green></b></A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
One more thing...

I don't get them much anymore. I mean now they are working on <A HREF="http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20030215S0010" target="_new">"Redwood"</A> aka a parallel bus. Serial and now parallel.

I still think that Rambus' definition of ODR is incorrect. If you look at t eh signalling diagrams they look like 4 a bit memory clocks per one system clock. That would be at a 4:1 ratio. A true ODR signal is 8 bits be one cycle.

<A HREF="http://www.rambus.com/products/xdr/XDR_Tech_Summary_030620.pdf" target="_new">Rambus Technology Summary</A>

Admission to MML2 $45
Gas $100
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bum_jcrules/WhoOwnsYou.html" target="_new"><b>Taking this picture of <font color=red>dstell</font color=red> in his sleep! - <font color=green>Priceless</font color=green></b></A>