DDR mainboards

G

Hi,

I'm planning to buy hi-end Thunderbird based system, and I'm having little hesitations... is it worth to wait for DDR systems? Other words, when motherboards, memory modules and CPUs will be available that support DDR features. Of course at normal price. :)) Thanks for any news!

Sparkplug

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right now I'm understanding the probable timeframe for consumer DDR mainboard availability to be Q1-Q3 of next year... Q1 probably being the 266mhz boards from AMD and probably one other 3rd party (like VIA) and later on in Q2/3 even faster boards that support faster DDR clocks.

I am waiting for at least an entry level DDR mainboard just because I plan to do a lot of memory intensive sound editing with multiple CD quality instrument tracks, and I also work with very large/multilayered Photoshop files...

Both of these things are pretty limited by my current machine and I see DDR as a big enough leap ahead in performance to hold off upgrading.

Also considering that DDRSDRAM isn't much more expensive than current SDRAM, if I'm going to buy $450 worth of RAM (I'll prolly start off with 384MB), I'll get a lot more for my investment 3 months from now than I will currently.

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may want to checkout the thread i started not long ago, its last post as of right now was 11/24 so it shouldnt be far down on your list, the title was, "Whos got news on DDR MBs and chipsets" there was plenty of good chat there about the whole thing.
Not to restate, but ive been waiting to UG to DDR for awhile now (ive hated RDRAM since it came out) but im also going to continue to wait, not for improved speed, because we can always keep waiting for improved speed, its a neverending cycle. But i do want a stable platform, and i would like some options from diff MB makers, and to get some reviews and benchmarks test results, so i can make up my mind. Try going to that thread and getting all the URLs people listed for what weve been able to locate so far. And if you find more, please post it~!
PS: Yes its definately worth waiting for, i should know, ive been waiting over 6 months now, and ill keep waiting, but when i strike, il get exactly what i want.

mpjesse

Splendid
Gigabyte has a DDR board available. Go to www.pricewatch.com and do a search for "AMD 760" and you'll get a hit. I just ordered one. Biostar has one too, but they suck.

-MP Jesse