DDR Memory low latency; how much benefit?

I'm still in the process of building a new PC which will be used mainly
for home/multimedia use, including video editing and audio/video
compression tasks (not much games use).

I know low latency memory is an advantage, but I'm not sure if it will
give me a noticable speed impovement for the fairly heavy extra cost
factor.

The Ram I was looking at is 2x512Mb Corair TwinX-XL PC3200 XLPT which is
DDR400, Cas2, 2-2-2-5 latency. Would this memory configuration be
significantly faster than much cheaper twin-DDR (still Cas2) options that
don't have the low 2-2-2-5 latency?

Quick machine spec is: Abit AV8 mobo, Athlon 64 3700 "San Diego" CPU (1MB
L2 cache), ATI 9800SE All-in-Wonder AGP graphics card, Vantec Ion 2 350W
PSU.

Also, on the HD front, I plan to use an existing 80MB Ultra-DMA EIDE hard
drive as the boot drive and a new DiamondMax 250MB SATA-150 drive as the
main data drive. Would my system be noticably faster if I got a newer
SATA drive for the boot drive also, or isn't there much different between
EIDE and SATA in the real world?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Kind Regards,

Andre
--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.usenet.kooks (More info?)

Andre Willey, <andre@cix.co.uk>, the empty-minded, unenthusiastic cloud of
fart gas, and cobbler, chucked:

andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk
andre@cix.co.uk

> Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS from my quoted email
> address

Done.

> to contact me directly.

Oh. Now you tell me.

--

stubborn <> wrote in news:b5ugg15k9rnlfn8povie1ne9j8qndosn8o@4ax.com:

>>I know low latency memory is an advantage, but I'm not sure if it will
>>give me a noticable speed impovement for the fairly heavy extra cost
>>factor.
>>
>>The Ram I was looking at is 2x512Mb Corair TwinX-XL PC3200 XLPT which
>>is DDR400, Cas2, 2-2-2-5 latency. Would this memory configuration be
>>significantly faster than much cheaper twin-DDR (still Cas2) options
>>that don't have the low 2-2-2-5 latency?
>
> Generally speaking, the more computations your computer does the more
> you will benefit from lower latencies. Video encoding is some of the
> most intense work your computer is asked to do, so in your case it
> sounds as though you would be well advised to get the fastest ram you
> can afford.

Yes, thanks. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking
too, I was just wondering if anyone had any empirical data on the
subject?

Kind Regards,

Andre

P.S. Looking at the rest of this thread, the trolls are out to play this
week, aren't they?

--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.

TRENDING THREADS