DDR-SDRAM vs SDRAM

G

Hi!
I need a general advice. I think this is an interesting and relevant question/problem. It is mainly about memory choice, but includes most aspects of a system set-up.
Thing is that I've been holding back in investing a new machine for audio-processing (Logic Audio Platinum, and a plethora of Audio-processing programs and plugins).
This much I have decided to buy already: Adaptec 29160n (LVD/U160 adapter), Seagate Cheetah 18 Gb 15000rpm drives (2). On processor I have decided for Athlon (T-bird) as fast as available at date of purchase (well before new year).
Now, there is the excellent Abit and Asus motherboards available now (with KT133), of which I have built several successful machines for my company thus far. But in this case I was holding off for DDR-SDRAM systems coming available.
Things get complicated though. Price dropped two days ago on PC100 and PC133 SDRAM. Down to one third of the previous price!!! This means it is within my economical reach to equip a KT133 machine with 3 256 Mb PC133 SDRAM. That is 768 Mb PC133 for 4,600 SKR (swedish krona), or 6,200 SKR If I go for branded memory. I am not completely certain any DDR-SDRAM system can compete with that for any reasonable cost. Audio-processing demands lots of memory and would love all that RAM. I can however only see that this price-drop is because of the coming DDR-SDRAM memories whis should end up costing at about the previous price-levels of SDRAM which would limit me to 256 or 384 MB of DDR-memory, IF these systems will be available here in Sweden well before the New Year.

I'm not asking for a defenitive prophecy of the close future here, just a Gut-feeling. If I orderd today I would go for the ABIT KT7-Raid with T-bird 1100, 768 Mb PC133, the above hard-drive-things for Audio and a couple of good IDE-drives for system and other fun stuff. I would probably get a GeForce ultra also but I would prefer if there was any with digital out since my TFT has one such input (a Samsung 17" 1280x1024). Obviously I will hold on for a month or at least 'til about 23/11-00 when my 24/96x8 soundcard have arrived, but if the price for memory fits my forecast here maybee conventional SDRAM will be the better choice for me?

What are all your gut-instinct and opinion about this?

Best regards
Bo Eriksson
ber@donnwell.se (Work)
snake@sdplus.com (private)

G

It kind of depends on what you have now.

Will it be enough to hold you off for the most likely MONTHS till you can get a DDR system?

If you're on a mid-range comp right now (C500+, D600+, P3 500+), I'd wait. But if you are using a P133... then go for it now. You usually have to upgrade your computer every 6 months anyway. And while you won't be able to brag about your 'k3wl new DDR system' for a while, performance of T-bird with that much RAM will still be pretty damn good, even with 'old' SDRAM.

G

Bo,

I agree. I think it will be many months before you'll see DDR motherboards that you'd be comfortable using in a "production" system. I don't expect first or maybe even second generation DDR boards to be overly stable/compatible. Plus, regardless of the hype and "pretests," we don't really *know* how much better DDR systems will perform (overall) than today's systems.

Mike

G

Exactly. I am currently using a p133 w/96MB EDO. However, unlike snakeatwork, I'm mostly web browsing on cable and preparing to start studies in JAVA. I mention this because I am uncertain if my usage really needs DDR. I suspect not, and current SDRAM pricing suggest I take the plunge. If I may ask for some recommendations, which combination of mobo, cpu, and sdram(size and brand) would you recommend. I don't game, so perhaps a video card of modest $$ would be in your suggested desktop. I have NICs aplenty so built in is not needed. Never did overclock, but a modest boost may be worth the risk.

G

Go for the sdram solution. If your main app (sound something) requires massive memory, buy massive memory and dont worry about the speed of it too much. Whereas u might get a 3-5-hell even 15% higher performance on a memory intensive app w DDR, consider same app running OUT of memory, resorting to swapping and reloading registers... and u se a 5-600% degredation in performance.
I learned this form editing DV-captures. Nice computer.. 256mb RDRAM PC800 Dual P3-733 Monster SCSI raid. Then I borrowed a few hours on a friends home edit station.. Athlon 800, 512MB PC100 ram, Ide disks.. and while throwing scenes back and forth it ROCKED 5-10 times as fast (forgot to drink my coffee), Why? JUST enough memory as opposed to JUST under. (later tested at 390MB usage).

G

Thanx all for your comments.
I decided not to wait any longer and ordered all the stuff.
This is the contents of the machine I ordered:
ATX cabinet with 430W PSU.
Abit KT7-raid Mobo(not planning to use raid, but it adds ATA100)
AMD Athlon 1100 CPU
Coolermaster CPU-fan graded for 1200.
2x9cm cabinet-fans with 3-pin connectors.
2xHD-fan for 5.25 mounting of hard-drives.
3x256MB noname PC133 SDRAM (totalling 768MB).
Adaptec 29160N U160 scsi-adapter.
Seagate Cheetah X15 18.4 Gb HD (15,000 rpm)
IBM 75GXP 46,1 Gb ATA-100 HD (7,200 rpm)
Creative Geforce2 Ultra (64Mb)
EGO-sys WAMIrack24 (8x 24/96 in/out, 4xmidi in/out, SMPTE-sync...)
Accton 10/100 PCI Ethernet controller.
Sony IDE CDRW (10x4x32)
Sony Floppy Disk
Panasonic LS-120
Other stuff used with this already purchased:
Samsung 17" TFT (1280x1024).
Absolute Outrageous 3d regular soundcard with Wave-table port.
Yamaha DB50XG Wavetable daughtercard.
Yamah SW60XG (standalone ISA-version of the DB50XG with extra features).
Emagic AMT8 mkII (8in 8out midi-interface USB)
Opcode 8port/SE (8in 8out midi-interface Parallell)
All kinds of outboard sound-modules, synths, mixing-desks and effects-units...
I might even put in my old audio-card also, an Emagic Audiowerk8 (2in 8out 18/48). But probably not (For sale!)

That will keep me making music for at least a year on I hope... :)

Thanx again everybody!

Best regards
Bo Eriksson
ber@donnwell.se (Work)
snake@sdplus.com (private)

G

I think you've got yourself one heck of a PC and that you'll be quite happy with it!