Anyone know how much faster DDR2 is compared to DDR? Is there a significant
difference.

I know DDR is eventually being phased out for DDR2, but wanted to know if
anyone knows first hand the difference in speed between the two.

Do a goggle search in the appropriate.

"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how much faster DDR2 is compared to DDR? Is there a
significant
> difference.
>
> I know DDR is eventually being phased out for DDR2, but wanted to know if
> anyone knows first hand the difference in speed between the two.

I am looking for first hand experience not facts.

"Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do a goggle search in the appropriate.
>
> "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how much faster DDR2 is compared to DDR? Is there a
> significant
> > difference.
> >
> > I know DDR is eventually being phased out for DDR2, but wanted to know
if
> > anyone knows first hand the difference in speed between the two.

bar

An inexperienced user can only misrepresent the facts.

One should read the details regarding DDR2 vs DDR and make certain one's
equipment is capable of taking advantage of any performance gain.

Apart from performance advantages, there are physical differences which may
prevent one using the newer modules.

DDR2 memory modules have the same physical dimensions as their equivalent
DDR counterparts, but have different pin configurations and operating
voltages.

Because of different voltages and pin configurations, DDR2 modules will have
a different "key" or notch in their connector to prevent them from being
plugged into an incompatible socket. DDR2 memory modules will only fit in
systems and motherboards designed to specifically support DDR2 memory.

I hope this helps you with your selection.

"Bradley Dick" wrote:

> I am looking for first hand experience not facts.
>
> "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Do a goggle search in the appropriate.
> >
> > "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
> > > Anyone know how much faster DDR2 is compared to DDR? Is there a
> > significant
> > > difference.
> > >
> > > I know DDR is eventually being phased out for DDR2, but wanted to know
> if
> > > anyone knows first hand the difference in speed between the two.

My personal experience has been that I can't notice much of a difference
(DDR2-667 MHz, DDR-266 to 500 MHz). The reason being that though DDR2
has higher clock rates, the latencies are much higher than DDR. In the
end, I haven't seen a difference due to the memory, but the PCI Express
platform is all around much faster and better than the old PCI Bus.
Most PCI Express based motherboards use DDR2, so basically you will need
to choose the memory based on the motherboard.

I would never base my choice of motherboard/chipset off memory though ;)

Also, because DDR2 is so new, the potential has not even begun to show.
In the long run, I believe DDR2 will be much faster and better than
DDR. Just right now the difference is negligable.

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :)

Bradley Dick wrote:
> I am looking for first hand experience not facts.
>
> "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Do a goggle search in the appropriate.
>>
>>"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Anyone know how much faster DDR2 is compared to DDR? Is there a
>>
>>significant
>>
>>>difference.
>>>
>>>I know DDR is eventually being phased out for DDR2, but wanted to know
>
> if
>
>>>anyone knows first hand the difference in speed between the two.

Bradley,

I recently was presented with the task of determining which PC to buy for
our church's office. After extensive research I recommended a Dell
Precision 370 workstation with the Intel P4 2.8GHz 800 MHz FSB proc and 1GB
DDR2 Ram.

This computer is blazing fast! According to PC World Oct 2004 edition, it
is the "2nd fastest computer" they have ever tested (P4 3.4 GHz 800 MHz FSB
model, 1GB DDR2 Ram). I was curious to benchmark the PC for myself and
being familiar with the AIDA32 benchmarking utility, there was little
difference in the memory READ benchmarking compared to my own P4 2.8GHz 800
FSB machine but where it shines is in the memory WRITING benchmark. This
benchmark is far superior than any other system listed as a reference.

Nospam