DDR worth the wait?

G

I have been waiting for months for these AMD DDR motherboards, CPUs and memory to be available. Should I keep waiting? What can I really expect from DDR? Most benchmarks are showing something like 4-10% improvement in speed, is that worth it? Or is this the P4 argument that in the future code will be optimized for DDR so software will run quicker in the future?

I want to buy my system soon and I keep changing my mind about waiting. Thanks for any information.

G

I am in the exact same position as you. I too have been waiting for several months to purchase a DDR system. It doesn't help when all the members of Team DDR say every couple of weeks DDR systems will be here very soon, then fail to deliver time and time again.

I exhanged several e-mails with Van Smith last year. He said, and I quote, "DDR SDRAM production was to ramp in August (it did) with motherboard availability to begin in Q4". Obviously this was complete BS. I will give Van the benefit of the doubt and say he was "mislead" by Team DDR. So can you really believe AMD, Via, Micron and all the other members of Team DDR when they say systems will be available soon? Although I can actually buy DDR RAM today (locally) I can't buy a 133 MHz FSB Athlon or a DDR motherboard. The only board that was available (locally) was Asus' A7M266 and it either sold out very quickly or was recalled; and the 133 FSB Athlons have never been available here.

So the question remains should you wait or buy. Well I can't answer that question but I can say what I intent to do. I intent to wait to see if there are any major announcements at CeBIT. If nothing major is announced then I suspect you will have to wait at least several more months for DDR systems (if not longer). If DDR components don't turn up shortly there after I will buy, but since it won't be a DDR system it won't necessarily be an Athlon.

One final note, Via has announce a rebate program to sell 128MB DDR modules (as announced here at THG) for about $50 each when purchased with a Via DDR chipset. Great, a rebate on something that you can't buy. That is too funny.

I feel much better now.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FDR on 03/08/01 10:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>