Question DDR2 Frequency problem

Oct 7, 2019
Hi,

I'm a bit confused after installing 16GB (4x4GB hynix pc6400 ddr2 800mhz) to my https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-MA790X-UD3P-rev-1x#ov

First of my computer wouldn't boot. After taking out 2 ram pieces it started normally. (8GB)
Then I installed all four pieces of Ram again, but I lowered ram frequency to 533mhz, then all went properly.
Doest it mean that this ram won't run using 800mhz on this motherboard ?
Even after getting it to work, win 10 shows total amount of Ram as 16GB but whereas available is only 10GB, why?
Or I'm doing something wrong ?

If it's possible, could someone guide me through the process how to make it to work?

thanks a lot

Last edited:

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Hi, not sure if this would help but on my DDR2 intel board i had to increase the pcie frequency from 100mhz to 120mhz before OC'ing ram, maybe try that to get it running at 800mhz, mine maxed out at 960mhz(normal low profile cheapo ram)

Oct 7, 2019
thanks, but keep in mind that I'm not trying to OC my ram.
I just want it to run at normal/factory settings - 800mhz.
Now it's running at 533. I tried increasing frequency only, but at 667 it's not stable and at 800 won't boot at all, just the motherboard screen shows up, and it stops before counting ram.
Just want to know, if this is normal, or I did something wrong/or should do something to make it work.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
thanks, but keep in mind that I'm not trying to OC my ram.
I just want it to run at normal/factory settings - 800mhz.
Now it's running at 533. I tried increasing frequency only, but at 667 it's not stable and at 800 won't boot at all, just the motherboard screen shows up, and it stops before counting ram.
Just want to know, if this is normal, or I did something wrong/or should do something to make it work.
Can you list the rest of your build?

The motherboard specs say 1333(OC) is supported. That is 667 speed x2 for dual channel.
667 is only achieved by overclocking the ram.
800 speed should not work.
You are unstable at 667. Perhaps there is a bios update that addresses such stability.
If you are overclocking your processor, there will be interactions with ram overclocking.
Reset your OC to default and see if 667 works.

Oct 7, 2019
Geofelt, thanks for this info. Now I understand what 1333mhz dual channel means..
However, I never OC my computer. The only thing I changed in Bios is the Ram frequency. It was set to Auto before, at the first time I plugged it in, and it didn't work.
I changed to manual, lowered the frequency to 533mhz and got it to work that way.
I tried updating the bios, but drivers available for win7 won't let me run any update saying that system is not compatible.

Updating a bios is a potentially risky operation.
You can brick an older motherboard if the flash should fail.
Look at uninstalled later flashes to see if they might address your problem.
Unless they do, I advise against a bios update.
I would use the option for a usb based flash. That avoids a possible problem of a failed flash due to a windows failure.

Your chose unbranded generic memory.

Major manufacturers no longer make or sell 4x4GB kits of DDR2 memory.

Looks like a poor choice as memory may have never been tested together. Check with whoever sold it to you.

There is your problem.
Ram must be matched.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

lynx1021

Distinguished
OK the phenom 945 quad limits you to 667Mhz, (1333) do you have a brand name on your memory? Hynix is just the chip maker.
I have an intel board that supposed to run memory at 1600mhz DDR3 and to make it stabile I had to raise the memory controller up from 1.1 volts to 1.11 volts and the memory from 1.5 volts to 1.6volts. It is possible your ram is overrated if it is not a name brand. 4 sticks draw more power. DDR2 voltage is 1.8 volts, you could try it at 1.9 volts, heard some run at 2volts.(

Oct 7, 2019
It says Hynix everywhere.. on the box, and on the chips.
I could try to raise the voltage, but it doesn't even work well on 667mhz, not to mention 800mhz.
I tried to use manual mode and set it all to 6-6-6 12 in bios, to factory settings, but it doesn't count ram on the welcome screen then.

But the thing is - do I lose much running it at 533mhz in comparison to 800mhz? If not, I won't care anymore.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
It says Hynix everywhere.. on the box, and on the chips.
I could try to raise the voltage, but it doesn't even work well on 667mhz, not to mention 800mhz.
I tried to use manual mode and set it all to 6-6-6 12 in bios, to factory settings, but it doesn't count ram on the welcome screen then.

But the thing is - do I lose much running it at 533mhz in comparison to 800mhz? If not, I won't care anymore.
I don't really think ram speed counts for much, when i game on my ddr2 board there's no noticeable difference by running 667, 800 or even 960 gaming wise, maybe for other task, but i only ever game on a pc so i ain't the best person to answer that question, if you could maybe try to find release notes on the different bios revisions maybe you will find that a higher bios revision helps with your issue, also maybe its time for an upgrade, used parts are generally quite cheap at the moment

Oct 7, 2019
I did a quick test using one of my 3ds max scenes. I set ram to 667mhz (it could work like that, not very stable) and mangaged to reder the scene.
Funny thing is that on 533MHZ same scene was rendered faster by couple of seconds...I checked three times.
I'm leaving Ram as is, on 533mhz, it works well this way.
In the near future I'll replace the whole computer and some Ryzen will jump in so fighting for these 800mhz is even more pointless.

Thank You all for help.

TRENDING THREADS