[SOLVED] ddr2 or ddr3?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, using my core 2 quad pc today. Giving windows update and nod32 update to this old thing.. when noticed something in task manager.

it says pc has ddr2

but cpu-z says I have ddr3

confused about this. Is my pc using ddr2 or ddr3?

Solution
Hi, using my core 2 quad pc today. Giving windows update and nod32 update to this old thing.. when noticed something in task manager.

it says pc has ddr2

but cpu-z says I have ddr3

confused about this. Is my pc using ddr2 or ddr3?
Task manager is often wrong but by those numbers it's DDR3 although at slowest speed.
probably you are using a motherboard which supports both ddr2 and 3 (not at the same time) and windows is reading the value just wrong. CPU-Z should be the one to trust more. To be sure just have a look inside your system and read the RAM module (or read the SPD mark and model in CPU-z) or have a look on the motherboard´s homepage, where DDR3 or DDR2 is placed.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@SkyNetRising

here is the mobo section of CPU-Z

_

@CountMike @helpstar

thanks for that info. I guess it's ddr3 then.

yeah, this pc is a slow dinosaur compared to my other rigs (on sig). But I treat it with respect, because it helped me game when I was so poor years ago. LOL
mostly used for backup storage now.. but still has a handful of games to keep me entertained. Surprisingly, with the help of a 1650, it can still play some newer games like Granblue Fantasy and DNF Duel at 1080p.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Something doesn't add up. Pcie 1.0 was a standalone. Only cards built for pcie 1.0 will work with it. The power delivery system was changed for pcie 1.1, and nvidia is backward compatible with current pcie bus back to pcie 1.1, amd is compatible back to pcie 2.3. Pcie 1.0 used the same power delivery as AGP x8, which is why it was changed for pcie 1.1, to be better compatible with PCI-e x16.

So a gtx1650 should not work on a pcie 1.0 bus system. Which is what that cpu-z states on the mainboard tab.

TRENDING THREADS