computernewbie2009

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
hi, experts
i'm planning on building a pc for gaming
i want to use e8500 and hd4870 for cpu and video card
but i'm have a hard time choosing which memory to buy

how much better do you think ddr3 is for gaming compared to ddr2 now
and how much do you think it will be in the future?

if i buy ddr2 and ddr2 motherboard
do you think i will have to upgrade them to ddr3 before i have to upgrade cpu/video card?

thanks in advance

For an E8500, go with DDR2. It's less expensive (motherboard and memory) and you'll never see the difference now or in the future. Most socket 775 motherboards are DDR2; DDR3 provides no measurable benefits. A good comparison between DDR2 (Assu P5Q Pro) and DDR3 (Asus P5Q3): http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5q3/.

computernewbie2009

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

i'll go with ddr2
thank you!

That's a really misleading benchmark - for most applications, the performance difference will be basically zero.

+1^
The difference between DDR2 and DDR3 isn't noticeable in games and most apps,here is another good review which compares DDR2 and DDR3:
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3.html

First things first, no point going for that rig unless its a secondary rig for home use and wont be touched too many times in the next 2 years. Otherwise, consider Core i5 or AMD lineup. DDR2 is becoming a little bit more expensive since its being phased out slowly.

john51

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
hi,

This is wrong. :non:

*all* application benefit from high memory bandwidth, some more some less...

Especially appl. that have an high memory usage, like DB's, CAD and for sure modern games have an benefit.

best

john51

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

well... this surprise me to read this here, from you:

this (3years old) comparsion is done on a p45 system, basically not designed for ddr3 ;)

*but anyway:

take any system, reduce memory bandwidth to its normal or below, and play modern gameX,
then do the same again, but push bandwidth to its limit (all other things are equally).

and you will see. :)
(same on DBs)