DDR3 1600MHZ to DDR3 1333MHZ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

d3one

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I bought new pc but yesterday i saw the OS thinking the ram is 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ to 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ i have win7 32 bit and im going to buy 64bit (want more ram) in the box of the ram and on the chip write that is 4gb1600MHZ
win7 isnt support 1600mhz or the computer is worng?

Its wrong RAM. U need 1.5V. Not 1.65V, as the IMC on the chip doesn't like the voltage above 1.5V.

1.5 volts is for the JDEC profiles .... most XMP profiles for i5 and i7 RAM is 1.65. In fact, over 2/3 of the RAM on Intel's XMP compatible list are over 1.50 volts.

I have seen many posts saying "Well that's a MoBo manufacturer thing". No....Intel sets the XMP profile. I agree, Intel's JDEC specifications stipulate 1.5 volts .... for JDEC profiles ..... but XMP "allows compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications" and is "predefined and tested" by Intel

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/intel-extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications. It’s designed to enhance the gaming features built into Intel® technology–based PCs. If you like to overclock and squeeze as much performance from your PC as possible, then memory based on Intel XMP gives you that extra edge you need to dominate—without breaking a sweat.

Predefined and tested Intel XMP profiles can be loaded via BIOS or a specific tuning application through a computer’s operating system. Often the easiest way to load Intel XMP profiles is using a tuning utility, which may be available depending on the particular board manufacturer. To learn whether a tuning utility is available on your system, you should contact the board manufacturer.

So ya still say Intel says 1.5 ? For JDEC profiles, I agree, for XMP profiles, again no.....most listed compatible i5 / i7 RAM is 1.65 .... at least according to Intel's compatibility lists

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/core-i5-processor-memory-datasheet.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/core-i7-memory-suppliers-datasheet.html

Intel's approved i7 Compatibilty List (April 2012) includes:

34 1.65 volt modules
07 1.60 volt modules
19 1.50 volt modules
01 1.25 volt modules

d3one

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

so my ram is fine? my CPU is i7-3770k

d3one

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

i dont have this thing on the bios! wtf?

edit:i have updated the bios ill see now!
edit2: after update 2 F8 no have this thing

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
from what i know, gigabytes ovrclocking/advanced features are hidden from standard menu, it needs to hit some key to reveal all the features. ussually that key is Ctrl+F1. This bios has two modes, 3D mode for casual, and advanced mode for overclocker. You need to find how to enter the advanced mode. From my previuos screenshoot, there was a hint,, F1 key is 3D mode. Then maybe F1 could also be applied to enter advanced mode.. try it, then see if you have that menu (XMP).

d3one

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

i googled about the X.M.P thing and its for OC and im not going to do it right now

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
OK that's fine if you dont want to do it. Just for your info, your ram basically supported XMP, the only way to achieve 1600 with this RAM is through overclocking it (it just overcloks your RAM), and since this XMP is a profile made by the manufacturer, then it should guaranted tobe working and safe (but not always compatible with your m/b). But if you dont want to use XMP, maybe you want to get other RAM but with 1.5V,, 1.65V basically always an XMP thing.